This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3361 / 53°20'9"N
Longitude: -3.3771 / 3°22'37"W
OS Eastings: 308396
OS Northings: 383011
OS Grid: SJ083830
Mapcode National: GBR 4YVV.NV
Mapcode Global: WH769.3D3V
Plus Code: 9C5R8JPF+C4
Entry Name: Foelnant Telegraph Station (former)
Listing Date: 30 November 1964
Last Amended: 12 September 2001
Source ID: 1427
Building Class: Communications
Location: In isolation, about 250 m to the south of Gronant Road and about 1 km west of Gronant village
Traditional County: Flintshire
Signalling by semaphore started on the North Wales coast in 1826, a number of stations including the predecessor of Foelnant being set up by the Mersey Docks Trust. The position of an 'old telegraph station' 300 m east-north-east of Pen-yr-allt is shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey map.
The present Foelnant building carries a stone tablet in south gable with the inscription "Voelnant Telegraph Built in 1841 by the Trustees of the Liverpool Docks". It was built on land belonging to the Nant Hall estate. The semaphore system was used as late as 1860 as an emergency fallback when the electric telegraph failed. Though probably redundant by 1879 the station remained in the occupation of the dock trustees at a rent of £5 per annum.
In the early C20 Foelnant station was brought back into use for spotting ships in distress and summoning lifeboats, but was closed c1907. A stand for launching rockets was set up nearby.
Rectangular single-storey, two-window brick former telegraph station. When surveyed in 1963 this was described as lime-washed; addition to north including two bow windows; slate roof with graduated courses and with stone copings up to half hips; recessed sash windows with glazing bars, somewhat altered on east side.
Not inspected during resurvey because of foot-and-mouth disease restrictions.
Central chimney stack has clustered octagonal flues; splayed fireplaces said to include one of stone with 3-centre arch to lintel.
An important survival of a north-Wales semaphore telegraph station of 1841 put up by the Liverpool Docks Trustees.
Other nearby listed buildings