This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3304 / 53°19'49"N
Longitude: -3.3974 / 3°23'50"W
OS Eastings: 307032
OS Northings: 382403
OS Grid: SJ070824
Mapcode National: GBR 4YQX.8W
Mapcode Global: WH768.SKC7
Entry Name: Plâs Ifan
Listing Date: 26 March 1993
Last Amended: 12 September 2001
Source ID: 1527
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Close to Fforddlas with a square walled garden to rear and side. Rubble stone wall to front, with steel gates.
Built-Up Area: Prestatyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
There was a Calvinistic Methodist church in Prestatyn by 1794, and Plâs Ifan may have been the members' meeting house or chapel. The form of the building as a chapel with its long side to the street and with twin doors to the front, now converted to windows, is still apparent. It is recorded as a Calvinistic Methodist chapel before 1823. In the Tithe Survey (1839) it is noted as a Calvinistic chapel on the Longueville estate, at that time occupied by Thomas Wynne as part of the Plâs farm tenancy.
The chapel was converted to a house in c1840 by Mr Batters, a local colliery owner, whose descendants remained in occupation until 1992. The Calvinistic Methodist (or Presbyterian) link appears to have remained, however, as in the mid C19 Plâs Ifan was used as a chapel and school before the opening of the new chapel, Rehoboth, in Prestatyn High Street, in 1863.
The annexe to the south of the building, now the kitchen of the house, was originally the minister's lodging.
A single storey house retaining the high eaves level of the original chapel, with a lower two-storey annexe at right (south). Roughcast overall, with slate roofs. Tall chimneys each side of centre in the main range and at the end of the annexe, also roughcast. The front (west) of the main range is symmetrical with 12-pane hornless sash-windows plus margin glazing at each side, occupying the original door positions, and a high level 4-pane similar window above the porch at centre. Main entrance centrally with panelled and half glazed door behind large flat-roofed glazed porch. The windows have stone sills.
Set back to the right is a 1-window annexe which was the former manse for travelling preachers. 12-pane unequal-sash window above, 16 pane below, hornless but lacking the margin glazing of the main range and evidently of earlier date. In the angle of this annexe and the main range is a lean-to single storey entrance lobby with door and C20 casement windows.
The rear of the main range has two original hornless sash-windows of 12-panes plus margin glazing contained in larger camber-headed openings with additional lights over a transom, and a modern 12-pane sash window with margin glazing centrally (in former pulpit position). Conservatory, timber annexe and lean-to glazed verandah at rear.
The interior was converted from the single room of the original chapel by the insertion of a central corridor and the formation of rooms at front and rear. Decorative ceiling roses of the original chapel remain in position, especially the large central one slightly cut into by the corridor walls. The ceilings are at about 4m height.
Listed as a former chapel converted to a house at an early date and retaining its early and mid C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings