This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3395 / 53°20'22"N
Longitude: -3.3879 / 3°23'16"W
OS Eastings: 307684
OS Northings: 383405
OS Grid: SJ076834
Mapcode National: GBR 4YST.BM
Mapcode Global: WH768.XBW7
Entry Name: Nant Hall Hotel
Listing Date: 19 June 1950
Last Amended: 12 September 2001
Source ID: 1426
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located in Prestatyn Road (to south of Prestatyn Golf Course), set back 100 m to the north side.
Built-Up Area: Prestatyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
The hotel stands on an historic site with many associations; its predecessor was the seat of the lords of Penrhyn, and the estate is mentioned in the rolls of Edward I. Later the house became the residence of the Conways of Bodrhyddan. Early construction appears to survive in the east wing, where there is a lateral chimney. After 1840 and before 1870 the house appears to have been much altered to give its present symmetrical-winged front with central porch. It continued in residential use until sold in 1879, and was described in the sale particulars as having a noble entrance hall, a large dining room and a large drawing room, a breakfast room, eight bedrooms and other offices. Following the sale it became a hotel; the mock-half-timber dress of this building may date from this change of ownership, and goes back at least to c1890.
A large two-storey house the main range of which runs east west, facing south. The front elevation is approximately symmetrical, with two outer forward wings and a central two-storey porch, imitative of Elizabethan E-plan form. The house is rendered, roughcast and painted white at front and has raised strips of smooth render horizontally and vertically painted black, to imitate half timbering. This effect is absent only from the front of the porch, which has raised quoins in the render picked out in black paint. Slate roofs with tile ridges, prominent trefoil pierced bargeboards to wings and porch with timber finials. Brick chimney off centre to left, other brick chimneys laterally to the outer sides of the wings, in C18/19 brickwork.
At rear the house presents a number of gables, rendered and white painted, and further slate roofs and brick chimneys. The house has been much extended irregularly at rear and at each end of the main range. A single storey modern extension at west and a two-storey C19 extension at east have the same mock half timbering at front. A stonework door surround and a stonework bay window to each of the forward wings are in C19 Tudor style, and these and the other front windows are of timber mullion and transom type.
Large bressumer of eastern lateral chimney in the east wing. Modern traditional pub interior.
A large house restored in Tudor form in the C19 and picturesquely dressed when converted to a hotel.
Other nearby listed buildings