This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.219 / 53°13'8"N
Longitude: -3.3756 / 3°22'32"W
OS Eastings: 308247
OS Northings: 369992
OS Grid: SJ082699
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.18HD
Mapcode Global: WH76W.3CV2
Plus Code: 9C5R6J9F+JQ
Entry Name: Hendre (Former Farmhouse)
Listing Date: 12 February 1991
Last Amended: 12 April 2002
Source ID: 1519
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached by a lane to the north of the A541 opposite Pontruffydd.
Traditional County: Flintshire
A farmhouse probably originating in the C17, much altered and enlarged in the C19. The chimney of an original single storey structure, in stonework, survives which has been incorporated as the east gable of the rear range, heightened in brickwork to two storeys.
The house is now of C19 external character, in brickwork. The east-west rear range has been enlarged to the west at a lower roof height, and to the south at full height.
The Tithe Survey (1843) records Hendre as part of the estate of Lady Emma Pennant, tenanted by Maurice Jones with about 180 acres (72.9 hectares). The house is now in different ownership to the adjacent farmyard (which remains Pennant Estate).
A two-storey house in brickwork with slate roofs and brick chimneys. At front (south) the house is of Flemish Bond, at sides and rear it is of English Garden Wall Bond. Modest roof projection at eaves and verges with plain bargeboards.
The main (south) elevation is triple-gabled, with symmetrical outer gables and a narrow middle gable advancing. The main door is central, with six panels, pilasters consoles and cornice; plain overlight. Above this is a 12-pane hornless sash window. The windows of the outer bays are similar in 16 panes, above and below.
The rear range projects slightly at east. The early chimney incorporated into the east gable end of the rear range is of mixed rubble stonework, heightened in brickwork to two storeys. Irregular rear elevation with boarded door under bracketted slated lean-to hood. Three of four upper windows with horizontally sliding sashes; one mullion and transom window below with horizontally sliding sash. Lower-roofed long two-window C19 extension at west: upper windows with mullions and transoms, set close to eaves, with sliding sashes. (Another similar at front above conservatory.) Lower windows with brick-arched heads.
In the south-west angle is a modern conservatory with brick plinth. Tall boundary walls at north; detached washhouse against west side.
Modernised interior said to retain some timber lintels and beams including bressummers to wide fireplaces in dining-room and bothy and slate flagstones. Repositioned Adam-style chimney-place in front living-room.
A former estate farmhouse with a good and well-preserved symmetrical front in early C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings