History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Erbistock, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.967 / 52°58'1"N

Longitude: -2.9695 / 2°58'10"W

OS Eastings: 334983

OS Northings: 341505

OS Grid: SJ349415

Mapcode National: GBR 76.K564

Mapcode Global: WH89C.CP6B

Plus Code: 9C4VX28J+Q6

Entry Name: Manley Hall

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 13 February 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1531

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated 600m NW of Erbistock reached from a track running SE off the A539.

County: Wrexham

Community: Erbistock (Erbistog)

Community: Erbistock

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Erbistock

History

Large house perhaps originally H-plan of C16 or C17 which has had a series of alterations and additions and was substantially remodelled in the late C19 in Vernacular Revival style designed to be sympathetic to the original building. This work included creating a new entrance and circulation arrangements. Some later alterations and additions.

Exterior

Pebbledash, timber-framing, sandstone, slate roof, red brick chimneys. Garden front has 2 projecting gabled wings which are pebbledashed flanking a recessed bay with sandstone rubble at ground floor level and timber framing in squarish panels with brick infill above. All windows appear to have been reset and are multipaned cast-iron casements with Gothick style intersecting pointed heads. left hand return has large stone stack with diagonally-set late C19 brick chimneys, rear elevation has a series of gabled bays and some single-storey extensions relating to various phases of development. To the left a late C19 Tudor-Gothic Revival doorway of red sandstone, late C19 mullioned and transomed stair window to right of this. Windows generally appear to have been reset. Attached C19 stable range converted for residential use.

Interior

Some elements of the 3-unit C17 plan are discernible; the rear entrance leads to a corridor of late C19 with a relocated stair which has been substantially restored and retains a heavy newel with strapwork designs and a pointed finial. The corridor gives access to the original ground floor rooms one of which has panelling of late C17 character which may have been reset. Some ceilings have chamfered and stopped beams, timber framing is visible in some walls and partially exposed roof timbers are visible upstairs.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a C17 large house which retains features of interest, and for the relatively sympathetic design of the late C19 work.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Boat Inn PH
    Situated in Erbistock village near the end of a by-road running S off the A528 to the edge of the River Dee.
  • II Church of Saint Hilary
    Situated in Erbistock village close to the banks of the River Dee.
  • II Plas Pen-y-Bryn
    Erbistock
  • II Mill House
    Situated 800m N of Erbistock on the E side of a road running S off the A528 from Overton Bridge.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Situated In Erbistock Village 75m NW of St. Hilary's Church, reached from a by-road running S off A528.
  • II* Llan-y-Cefn
    Approached by a track adjacent to Gwalia, and about 1 km from the road, above the River Dee.
  • II Farm-Buildings and Icehouse at Llan-y-Cefn
    Built against the slop on the approach of Llan-y-Cefn.
  • II* Dovecote at Erbistock Hall
    Situated SE of Erbistock Hall which is 1.5 km N of Erbistock.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.