This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9654 / 52°57'55"N
Longitude: -2.9606 / 2°57'38"W
OS Eastings: 335575
OS Northings: 341329
OS Grid: SJ355413
Mapcode National: GBR 77.K79Z
Mapcode Global: WH89C.HQDH
Entry Name: Church of Saint Hilary
Listing Date: 13 February 1995
Last Amended: 13 February 1995
Source ID: 15167
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in Erbistock village close to the banks of the River Dee.
Community: Erbistock (Erbistog)
Traditional County: Flintshire
A church is recorded on or close to this site since the 13th century, and was originally dedicated to St. Erbin. The present building was erected 1859-61 as a memorial to Henry Ellis Boates of Rose Hill by his wife, and following her death was completed by their daughter Gertrude. Name of architect unknown.
Gothic-Revival style with Decorated and Early English elements. Red sandstone ashlar, slate roof, red ridge tiles. Polygonal apse, projecting S porch and vestry to N. The W. end is surmounted by a bell-cote with 3 bells and a crucifix finial. 3-light nave windows have Decorated style tracery and hoodmoulds with foliated stops, chancel windows are cusped lancets with hoodmoulds with stops in the form of male and female heads.
Nave and aisles under one roof; the nave arcade is of red sandstone with boldly carved capitals and polished granite piers. Chancel arch rises from corbels with attached granite shafts, step up to chancel, steps up to altar. Chancel windows are in a cusped arcade with polished granite shafts. Exposed timber scissor-braced roof to nave, ribs in chancel rise from stone corbels.
Furnishings: Caen stone pulpit with recessed quatrefoil designs and incised texts, octagonal font of similar design with oak lid. Oak reading desk with carved scene of the Annunciation, organ and pitch-pine organ case by Charles Whitely & Co., Chester; reredos of 1872 has central gabled niche with carved stone representation of Christ with bread and wine. Pews and choir furnishings pitch pine. Stained glass windows unattributed, mainly memorials to Boates family. Memorials on the S wall include late C18 and early C19 monuments from the earlier church on the site.
listed as a mid C19 church with good interior and contemporary furnishings.
Group value with the Boat Inn and The Old Rectory.
Other nearby listed buildings