This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9796 / 52°58'46"N
Longitude: -2.8211 / 2°49'15"W
OS Eastings: 344966
OS Northings: 342783
OS Grid: SJ449427
Mapcode National: GBR 7D.JC79
Mapcode Global: WH89F.MCTN
Entry Name: Willington Cross
Listing Date: 17 March 1953
Last Amended: 7 May 1998
Source ID: 1642
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located off a lane from the cross-roads at Willington Cross, set in open fields and approached by a private drive.
Community: Willington Worthenbury
Community: Willington Worthenbury
Traditional County: Flintshire
Originated as a large sub-medieval timber-framed storeyed house. Extended in brick in the late C16/early C17, re-fashioned in C18 when it became a farmhouse, and extended again in the C19. Like Mulsford Hall this is said to have been built as a dower house for the Puleston's of Emral Hall. Recent restoration work has revealed more of the surviving sub-medieval fabric.
Brown brick, partially rendered, two-storeys plus attic, under slate roof. H-plan with C19 two-storey extension to rear. Large brick stacks. Main elevation rendered and with two curvilinear gables of unequal proportions. Old photographs show gables previously had carved decoration. Painting of 1793 shows that the late C16/early C17 brick house had three Flemish crow-stepped gables (two paired to the right of the elevation) since when frontage has been re-fenestrated with leaded, timber casements. Window over door bricked-up, and one wing to right demolished, including stack. Rear elevation of three storeys with three gables and projecting two-storey C19 extension from middle bay with single-storey lean-to. Gables defined by dentilated brick band in manner of similiar local houses (eg Bedwell Hall, Sesswick, and Hem House, Rossett). Further brick band between ground and first floor of facade; ground floor windows have brick hood-moulds.
Front door opens into hall with fireplace to left under large bressummer; wide oak floor boards. To the right, the original doorway to the timber-framed house is set within square framed partition wall. H-hinges to cupboard door to left of fireplace in sitting room. Most doors throughout the house are of ledged boarded type and some have wooden latches. The timber-framed rear wall of the hall retains large three-light mullion and transom window indicating that this was formerly the outside wall of the early house. Fine, full-height, C17 dog-leg staircase with moulded rail, square moulded newels with pierced finials and pendants, pierced balusters and closed strings with carved patterns (different to each flight) with pierced finials and pendants; also decorative arcading to the risers. To the first floor is a further three-light mullion and transom window from an outside wall of the early house. Glass to window at western end of passage bears scratched names and dates eg "John Boot 1808", "Ethan Jones 1775", etc. One bedroom retains its C18 plaster cornice to the ceiling and encased beam, together with moulded fire-surround. To the attic storey the queen-post struts of the gable ends of the sub-medieval house are clearly visible.
Listed grade II* as a manorial house of sub-medieval origin retaining a fine interior.
Other nearby listed buildings