This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8945 / 51°53'40"N
Longitude: -2.9316 / 2°55'53"W
OS Eastings: 335991
OS Northings: 222181
OS Grid: SO359221
Mapcode National: GBR F9.QTNY
Mapcode Global: VH78W.4NK1
Entry Name: Great Campston
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 1921
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 5km SW of Grosmont, at the end of a long private drive, which runs SE off the minor road to Llanvihangel Crucorney.
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The earliest parts of the present house appear to be C17, but Great Campston has its origins as a monastic range belonging to the Cistercian Abbey at Dore. After the Dissolution of 1536, Campston was granted to John Cokke of London, but after 1600 came into the possession of John Pritchard. The Pritchard family lived here for many years. Charles II was entertained at Great Campston in 1645 on his way to Raglan. A photograph c1904 in Bradney's 'History of Monmouthshire' shows the front of the house to have been formerly asymmetrical with 3-light mullion and transom windows.
Thinly coursed rubble stone, hipped slate roof and projecting chimneystack at gable. Two storey, symmetrical front. First floor has five C20 horned sash windows, with rendered sills. Ground floor has centre entrance doorway with C20 pedimented porch and 6-panel door, flanked on each side by two similar sashes which have concrete lintels with simulated voussoirs. The middle wall to the right of the porch has a carved C17 stone tablet which comprises: centre coat of arms of the Vaughans of Tretower, flanked by fluted colums with volutes which stand on floral decorated bases and support a moulded entablature.
Principal ground-floor rooms flank each side of the entrance, with former service rooms to rear.The interior has been substantially refurbished in the C20, including the insertion of a C18 fireplace surround in the drawing room.
Substantial C17 house with early and important history.
Other nearby listed buildings