History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brynmor

A Grade II Listed Building in Penmaenmawr, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2682 / 53°16'5"N

Longitude: -3.924 / 3°55'26"W

OS Eastings: 271781

OS Northings: 376307

OS Grid: SH717763

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z1N.84

Mapcode Global: WH544.P3MV

Plus Code: 9C5R739G+7C

Entry Name: Brynmor

Listing Date: 30 May 1951

Last Amended: 3 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3153

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located in the centre of the town at right-angles with the street, and facing E behind a rubble garden wall.

County: Conwy

Community: Penmaenmawr

Community: Penmaenmawr

Built-Up Area: Penmaenmawr

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Penmaen-mawr

History

At early site, Brynmor was predominant in the locality long before the establishment of the town. The present house is probably early C17 and is presumably that mentioned in an indenture of 1625 as a possession of John Williams, Archbishop of York and Lord Keeper. Some internal cosmetic alterations were carried out probably in the second quarter C18; Mid and late C19 extensions and alterations, including two additional storeyed wings.

Interior

Evidence of a former cross-passage plan; late C19 pine staircase grafted onto cut-down primary oak post-and-panel screen in passage (now entrance hall). Former hall to the L with large stopped-chamfered inglebeam to fireplace; a mural stair (to the L) disappeared long ago and now only a recess remains. C18 plaster cornice and plastered ceiling beams forming a compartmented ceiling. In the R ground-floor room, the uprights survive to a former post-and-panel partition separating the parlour from a service bay; these will simple grooved decoration. C18 wig closet in upper L room (occupying former stair space); pine shelving one surviving bracket.

Reasons for Listing

A C17 vernacular house retaining good C19 external character in a prominent road-side location within the town.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Brynmor Cottage
    Located in the centre of the town at right-angles with the street, and facing E behind a rubble garden wall.
  • II Gladstone Monument
    Located on an island at the cross-roads with Paradise Road, immediately N of the main street, Pant-yr-Afon.
  • II Penmaenmawr Railway Station
    Located at the N edge of the town at the bottom of Paradise Road.
  • II Church of St Seiriol
    Towards the eastern edge of Penmaenmawr, on a narrow road above the main street
  • II Primary Barn at Graiglwyd Farmhouse
    Located approximately 1.5km S of Penmaenmawr, overlooking the town on a hillside site immediately to the E of the farmhouse; accessed from the lane via a short farm track and oriented N-S, its S gable
  • II Graiglwyd Farmhouse
    Located approximately 1.5km S of Penmaenmawr, overlooking the town on a hillside site within its own walled orchard; accessed from the lance via a short farm track.
  • II Roman Catholic Church of the Lady of the Rosary
    Set back slightly from the road at the junction with Graigllwyd Road; behind low copied and railed walls enclosing a partly-bedded, inclined forecourt.
  • II Attached former Minister's House
    Set back slightly from the road at the junction with Graigllwyd Road; behind low copied and railed walls enclosing a partly-bedded, inclined forecourt.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.