This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2702 / 53°16'12"N
Longitude: -3.9154 / 3°54'55"W
OS Eastings: 272359
OS Northings: 376510
OS Grid: SH723765
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z3M.3F
Mapcode Global: WH544.T2PB
Entry Name: Attached former Minister's House
Listing Date: 3 November 1995
Last Amended: 3 November 1995
Source ID: 16517
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back slightly from the road at the junction with Graigllwyd Road; behind low copied and railed walls enclosing a partly-bedded, inclined forecourt.
Built-Up Area: Penmaenmawr
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Dated 1867; built as a Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, though converted to a Catholic church this century.
Belongs to a group comprising the Roman Catholic Church of the Lady of the Rosary and attached former Minister's House, Penmaenmawr.
5 bay rectangular chapel of snecked rubble with Penmaenmawr granite dressings; shallow hipped slate roof. 3-bay symmetrical facade with Tuscan giant order columns supporting a Classical entablature with modillion treatment; coped parapet with 4 spaced ball finials relating to the orders below. The frieze is inscribed: ‘Domus Dei et Porta Coeli’ (Gen xxviii.17). A central raised cartouche surmounts the parapet, bearing the date 1867; plain iron cross above. Central entrance within a plain, full-height arched recess and with moulded architrave and plain bracketed entablature; recessed 8-panelled double doors. Flanking windows above moulded cill-course, with moulded and pedimented architraves; multi-pane sash windows with marginal glazing. 5 similar, though un-pedimented windows to the long sides of the chapel, with projecting stone cills. Wooden bracketing to oversailing eaves.
Adjoining to the rear and set back slightly behind a dwarf walled forecourt is the former minister’s house. Construction as before with hipped roof and oversailing, bracketed eaves. Near-symmetrical 3-bay front with central recessed entrance; part-glazed boarded door. To the L a large contemporary recessed sash window, of 4 panes with marginal glazing; projecting slate cill. To the R of the entrance part-glazed modern double doors (boarded up), formerly a window as before. 3 further, similar sashes to the first floor. To the rear, a contemporary service lean-to extension with a modern flat-roofed extension beyond. Squat stock brick chimney with one contemporary ceramic pot.
The interior was not accessible at the time of inspection (July 1995).
Listed as a good mid-Victorian chapel with a well-balanced facade.
Other nearby listed buildings