History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gladstone Monument

A Grade II Listed Building in Penmaenmawr, Conwy

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2685 / 53°16'6"N

Longitude: -3.922 / 3°55'19"W

OS Eastings: 271915

OS Northings: 376337

OS Grid: SH719763

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z1N.P1

Mapcode Global: WH544.Q3LM

Entry Name: Gladstone Monument

Listing Date: 3 November 1995

Last Amended: 3 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16515

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Located on an island at the cross-roads with Paradise Road, immediately N of the main street, Pant-yr-Afon.

County: Conwy

Community: Penmaenmawr

Community: Penmaenmawr

Built-Up Area: Penmaenmawr

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Penmaen-mawr

History

Erected by public subscription in 1899 in memory of W E Gladstone, Prime Minister, a frequent visitor to the town due to his friendship with the quarry-owning Derbyshire family.

Exterior

Life-sized bronze bust of Gladstone on a polished granite obelisk; the four faces are inscribed respectively: 'Gladstone', 'Statesman, Orator, Scholar', '29 Dec 1809 to 19th May 1898'. And 'Erected by Public Subscription, 1899'. The obelisk stands on a triangular (unpolished) granite base, itself within a triangular dwarf-walled flowerbed enclosure; decorative iron railings, modern protective bollards.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its historic interest as a late C19 municipal monument in a prominent location.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Brynmor
    Located in the centre of the town at right-angles with the street, and facing E behind a rubble garden wall.
  • II Brynmor Cottage
    Located in the centre of the town at right-angles with the street, and facing E behind a rubble garden wall.
  • II Penmaenmawr Railway Station
    Located at the N edge of the town at the bottom of Paradise Road.
  • II Church of St Seiriol
    Towards the eastern edge of Penmaenmawr, on a narrow road above the main street
  • II Roman Catholic Church of the Lady of the Rosary
    Set back slightly from the road at the junction with Graigllwyd Road; behind low copied and railed walls enclosing a partly-bedded, inclined forecourt.
  • II Attached former Minister's House
    Set back slightly from the road at the junction with Graigllwyd Road; behind low copied and railed walls enclosing a partly-bedded, inclined forecourt.
  • II Primary Barn at Graiglwyd Farmhouse
    Located approximately 1.5km S of Penmaenmawr, overlooking the town on a hillside site immediately to the E of the farmhouse; accessed from the lane via a short farm track and oriented N-S, its S gable
  • II Graiglwyd Farmhouse
    Located approximately 1.5km S of Penmaenmawr, overlooking the town on a hillside site within its own walled orchard; accessed from the lance via a short farm track.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.