This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2492 / 53°14'57"N
Longitude: -3.8348 / 3°50'5"W
OS Eastings: 277673
OS Northings: 374038
OS Grid: SH776740
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZNV.KY
Mapcode Global: WH65B.2L5F
Plus Code: 9C5R65X8+M3
Entry Name: The Groes Inn
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 28 December 1995
Source ID: 3198
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Prominently sited immediately on the W side of the Llanrwst Road approximately 1.5km SE of Henryd village.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
History: Established already as an inn in 1578 when the 'tavarne y Groes' is mentioned in a court order; mentioned also under this name June 1580. The present structure is largely late C17 although there may be a late C16 or early C17 core (evidenced by the large inglenook fireplace in the former hall with an ogee-stopped chamfer to its bressummer). Altered and extended variously during the C19 and C20.
Exterior: 2-storey asymmetrical building of rendered rubble with hipped slate roofs; plain rendered chimneys. The central section is the earliest, and appears to have been a storied end chimney house of a type common to the region. This has a central entrance with modern door and C20 part-open porch. Flanking second-quarter or mid C19 12-pane sliding sashes with crown glass and including bullseye panes; modern window to far R. Two C19 plain sash windows under the eaves and, to the R, the date 1400 in painted, raised stucco, an inaccurate late C19 pseudo-historical addition. The L section is C20; boarded and studded door with multi-pane fixed window to the R. 12-pane steel-framed windows to the first floor. All windows have modern external wooden shutters. To the rear, a second-quarter/mid C19 wing to the N, forming an L with the earlier range; various further adjoining extensions, all C20.
Interior: Beamed ceiling to main ground-floor room with chamfered joists and beams with run-off stops; evidence of former lateral partition. Large inglenook fireplace with internal niches and later oven; ogee-stopped chamfered bressummer. Early C18 (?) pine stair with large, plain newels, sloped rail and pronounced flat, shaped balusters; this continues around the stairhead to form a balustraded gallery, though this is currently (September 1995) boxed-in. C19 red/black quarry-tiled floor to main hall. 3-bay pegged and chamfered collar truss roof to primary section.
An early recorded inn in a prominent road-side location and retaining historic detail internally.
Reference: RCAHMW, Caernarvonshire, Vol.1, East, 129-130 (445).
Other nearby listed buildings