This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.243 / 53°14'34"N
Longitude: -3.8352 / 3°50'6"W
OS Eastings: 277632
OS Northings: 373350
OS Grid: SH776733
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZNY.H5
Mapcode Global: WH65B.2R06
Entry Name: Eirianws Farm
Listing Date: 28 December 1995
Last Amended: 28 December 1995
Source ID: 17714
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on rise to the W of Llanrwst Road at the southernmost boundary of the community; approximately 1.5km SE of Henryd village .
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
History: Single-storey cottage of c.1600 perhaps with earlier origins, raised c.1700. A new storeyed house was attached to the S c.1800, and both units were altered c.1900.
Exterior: The primary range (to the R) is a low storeyed cottage of rubble with boulder foundations and slate roof. Large stepped stack at junction with later farmhouse range, the visible sections of which were rebuilt c.1900. Modern part-glazed Victorian-style door to L with modern 4-pane sash windows to the R, flanking a primary opening with sash glazing. late-Victorian 4-pane sash to first floor L under the eaves and to the R an earlier, mid-Victorian 6-pane sash. c.1900 roughcast with simple stucco surrounds to openings and stucco cill-band to upper floor; contemporary cast-iron water-pump attached to wall L of primary range. External stone-stepped access to upper entry at N gable; boarded door. Later (C19) oven projection to rear with 2 further openings, that to the L original.
Stepped up and adjoining to the L, the later farmhouse; 2 storey, construction and stucco treatment as before. Central entrance to right-hand section with flanking sash windows and similar windows above, all as before. The 2 left-hand bays appear to be a later C19 addition; door to the R with windows as before. Red brick chimneys at L gable end and at the division between the main block and the extension.
Interior: Large inglenook fireplace to the primary house with chamfered bressumer and later oven; slit window from stack into apparently original lobby-entry. Good quality stopped-chamfered ceiling joists, beams and cross-beams. 2-bay pegged collar truss roof with one earlier cruck blade apparent against the stack gable, perhaps relating to an earlier structure. Pine beamed ceilings and plain fireplaces to the farmhouse block.
Listed for its special interest as a vernacular farmhouse with sub-Medieval origins.
Reference: RCAHMW, Caernarvonshire, Vol.1, East, 130,(449).
Other nearby listed buildings