This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2957 / 53°17'44"N
Longitude: -3.8357 / 3°50'8"W
OS Eastings: 277747
OS Northings: 379207
OS Grid: SH777792
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZNB.C9
Mapcode Global: WH654.1FR9
Plus Code: 9C5R75W7+7P
Entry Name: Deganwy Castle Hotel
Listing Date: 8 October 1981
Last Amended: 5 May 2006
Source ID: 3358
Building Class: Commercial
Location: At R angles to the street and prominently sited between the main Llandudno road and railway.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno Junction
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
A C19 hotel in several phases. The 1889 Ordnance Survey shows only the 4 ranges in a line facing the front, which are probably all of different dates after 1850. Extensions at the rear were added in the early C20 to the 1930s.
A large hotel in mild Georgian style, of several rangesreflecting its phased development, grouped in a line, with further additions behind. It has a 4-storey W tower to the L end, then a 2-storey 3-bay range, a lower 2½-storey 4-bay entrance range and, brought forward, a higher 3-storey 3-bay E range. It is likely that the lower roofed 4-bay entrance range represents the earliest part of the development, extended towards the west, and later, to the east. Walls are whitened pebble-dash, the roofs of slate, with roughcast and pebble-dashed stacks.
The W tower provides the main external focus. It has cambered 2-pane sash windows in the lower storey. In the 1st floor front is an oriel window with parapet and sash window of 1 over 2 panes. The L side wall has a plainer replacement window under a cambered head. The 2nd floor has segmental 2-pane sash windows to the front and L side. Above is a corbel table and cornice. The upper stage is narrower, and has replacement windows to the front and L side, and small-pane 3-light window to the R. The truncated steep pyramidal roof has prominent ironwork cresting and a weathervane.
Next R the 3-bay range has 3 windows to first floor, renewed as top-hung casements in C19 openings, with wooden shutters and a sill band. Its ground floor is obscured by a single storeyed C20 extension with sawtooth ground plan and plain large windows. The lower central entrance range is asymmetrical with wide gabled bay advanced R of centre with barge boards and pendant finial. The entrance is on the L side of the advanced bay, in an added porch which continues as a flat roofed conservatory across the right hand bays of this block, to link with the modenr extension of the left-hand range. The conservatory is open to bays 1 and 2 beneath margin-glazed upper lights, with entablature and cornice. The entrance also has a pediment. Double steel-framed half-glazed doors have margin lights, and are beneath a round-headed radial-glazed overlight. In the broad gable of this range, are 2-pane horned sash windows on each floor, with an additional window at gable apex. Similar windows to left, those to first floor beneath gabled dormers with decorative bargeboards. To the right of the broad gable, a narrower bay has added lean-to at ground floor, single 2-pane sash window above, and modern dormer in the roof.
Beyond this, the E range has late C19 character. Two and a half storeys, 3-window range, with hipped roof. ground floor has flat roofed extension to centre, with large inserted window to right, and inserted doors and further extension to left. The 1st floor has a central 2-pane horned sash window flanked by oriel windows with lean-to roofs and tripartite sashes. The 2nd floor has 4-pane sash windows beneath dormer gables. facing the road, there are grouped 4-pane sashes on each floor.
Behind this range are two further ranges with late C19 character, fronting the road. The 3-storey 5-window range and a lower 2-storey 4-window range both have mainly 2-pane sash windows. Behind the W tower is a 1930s neo-Georgian 3-storey flat-roof extension near square in plan (the symmetrical facade arranged 3-3-3 with the central 3 bays advanced), with small-pane sash windows throughout.
In the entrance range, the room on the L side has panelled wainscot, panelled shutters, and ashlar Gothic chimneypiece said to have been brought from Pabo Hall. It has a shouldered 4-centred arch, above which is a relief inscription 'welcome ever smiles' and a raked hood, in which is a tablet with 'E&A B 1885' (the monogram EB is found on Pabo Hall outbuildings). In the centre-L range is an open-well stair with plain balusters and wreathed handrail. The 1st floor retains some panel doors with panelled reveals.
Listed primarily for the entrance front, which retains definite late C19 architectural character, including a prominent tower.
Other nearby listed buildings