This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2979 / 53°17'52"N
Longitude: -3.8287 / 3°49'43"W
OS Eastings: 278223
OS Northings: 379438
OS Grid: SH782794
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZP9.XJ
Mapcode Global: WH654.5C2M
Plus Code: 9C5R75XC+4G
Entry Name: Deganwy Castle
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 5 May 2006
Source ID: 3365
Building Class: Defence
Location: Set across 2 steep hills known as The Fardre inland from the village, with panoramic view across Conwy, estuary, coastline and N Wales mountains.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno Junction
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Although it was a defended site from the early medieval period, extant masonry remains of Deganwy Castle belong to building campaigns of the C13, during which time it was held alternately by both Welsh and English forces. The earliest part of the present structure is the revetment on the N side, of c1213 built by Llywelyn ap Iorwerth. The remainder of exposed masonry was added in the period 1245-54, when the castle was substantially rebuilt by Henry III, but not completed. It was captured in 1263 by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd. When Edward I seized control over the area in 1283 he chose not to rebuild Deganwy but to build a new castle at Conwy.
A fortification between 2 steep hillocks, with bailey between them. The former S entrance retains a short section of rubble-stone wall close to the former gatehouse, and other footings of the wall are also visible. On the N side is a bank and ditch, and a short section of a rubble-stone wall at R angles, probably part of a gateway, although the N wall was never completed. The W hillock retains traces of mid C13 curtain wall to the S and E, with a more substantial earlier surviving section to the NW corner. Here there is the base of a round turret and, at a lower level, a substantial retaining wall, both of coursed rubble stone. No structures are now visible on the E hillock, where Mansells Tower formerly stood.
Listed grade II* as ruins of an early medieval castle, the most important defensive site in the area before the construction of Conwy Castle.
Scheduled Ancient Monument CN016
Other nearby listed buildings