This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0547 / 53°3'17"N
Longitude: -3.8366 / 3°50'11"W
OS Eastings: 277001
OS Northings: 352408
OS Grid: SH770524
Mapcode National: GBR 62.CJJF
Mapcode Global: WH669.1HB0
Entry Name: Ty Mawr
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 17 July 1992
Source ID: 3578
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At head of Wybrnant Valley approx 2.5 km NW of Penmachno. Best reached via signposted minor road branching N off Penmachno-Glasgwm road approx 700m W of Penmachno village centre.
Community: Bro Machno
Community: Bro Machno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Farmhouse rebuilt in late C16/early C17 incorporating parts of earlier house on site, traditionally held to be birthplace of Bishop William Morgan (1545-1604) translator of first complete Welsh Bible (1588). Restoration by Lord Penrhyn for tercentenary of translation 1888. Restoration by National Trust 1987-88 to mark quatercentenary of translation.
Two-storey house in flat stone slabs with massive foundations. Random slate roof in graded courses (dating from 1987-88 restoration). End chimneys in stone, capped by slabs and discharging to sides. Massive square S chimney (heightened in smaller masonry blocks); less massive N chimney with pronounced lean to S has chimney breast corbelled out c1.8 metres above ground level. Upper floor has 2 almost square windows and smaller window to L. Slate plaque between floors recording history of house dates from 1980's restorations. Entrance doorway (restored to this position 1980's) has stone lintel and jambs. To L one rectangular window and one small square window; to R small square window. At rear, upper floor has two horizontally-proportioned windows, that to R deeper. On ground floor, square-headed door, and to R, small vertically-proportioned window.
Interior arrangements restored 1987-88. Stone flagged floor. Entrance passage with (modern) post-and panel partitions, 2 rooms to R, oak partition (modern) between. To L of passage, hall with chamfered ceiling beams. Large fireplace in end (S) wall, heavy chimney lintel with mortices (indicating former loft). South wall has base of former cruck. Wooden stair (modern) leads to first floor partitioned into 2 rooms (modern). Chamber over hall has 2 deep cupboards flanking chimney. Book room with fireplace. Roof of 3 collar-beam trusses with purlins and 2 tiers of purlins (formerly trenched).
Graded II* for historical associations.
Other nearby listed buildings