History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Gethin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Betws-y-Coed, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0681 / 53°4'5"N

Longitude: -3.8227 / 3°49'21"W

OS Eastings: 277967

OS Northings: 353870

OS Grid: SH779538

Mapcode National: GBR 63.BMX9

Mapcode Global: WH669.74XR

Plus Code: 9C5R359G+6W

Entry Name: Pont Gethin

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 17 February 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3187

Building Class: Transport

Location: Spanning the Lledr valley dramatically at the western boundary of the community with that of Betws-y-Coed and spanning the A 470 Llanrwst to Dolwyddelan road; partly in Betws-y-Coed community.

County: Conwy

Community: Dolwyddelan

Community: Dolwyddelan

Locality: Pont Gethin

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Betws-y-coed

History

Constructed as the 'Lledr Viaduct' in 1879 as bridge no. 34 of the Conwy Valley line from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Llandudno Junction. The builder was a Penmachno stonemason, Owen Gethin Jones, a sub-contractor to the main contractors D and E Jones of Betws-y-Coed. The quality of construction was criticised by the Railway Inspector Colonel Rich, in his report, though the work was grudgingly passed as satisfactory.

Exterior

Railway viaduct 326m in length, with 24m main arch over the river Lledr and six smaller arches, the first spanning the A 470 askew. Massive construction of local slatestone blocks, snecked and rough-shaped, with Penmaenmawr stone dressings and red brick soffits. The arches have dressed voussoirs below plain archrings and are surmouinted by a sham-machicholated parapet, shallow-stepped and with 'arrow slits' over the arches; plain capping. Flanking the main, road and grouped lesser arches, are semi-circular turrets with refuges ornamented with battlements in three tiers above. Incised into a block on a road-flanking turret is the inscription: ' O Gethin D Jones, Penmachno, 1879'.

Reasons for Listing

Included at Grade II* as an important and monumental C19 railway viaduct.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Agricultural Range SW of Glyn Lledr.
    Located at the end of a short track some 150m SW of Glyn Lledr, at the eastern boundary of the community; accessed via the Ty Mawr lane from the Pont-ar-Lledr.
  • II Carthouse SW of Glyn Lledr
    Located at the end of a short track some 150m SW of Glyn Lledr, at the eastern boundary of the community; accessed via the Ty Mawr lane from the Pont-ar-Lledr. The carthouse is immediately S of the ag
  • II Bwlch-y-Maen
    Reached via drive branching off forest track at SH 782 527.
  • II Llanerch Elsi
    Located some 200m SE of Llyn Elsi within the forestry land approximately 2.5km SW of Bettws-y-Coed; accessed via a series of forestry tracks leading SE from the A 5, 500m E of the Swallow Falls Hotel,
  • II* Fedw Deg Old Farmhouse
    Above Lledr valley reached from forest track at SH 798 539 (near Tan-yr-allt) taking first L and then first R turnings.
  • II* Ty Mawr
    At head of Wybrnant Valley approx 2.5 km NW of Penmachno. Best reached via signposted minor road branching N off Penmachno-Glasgwm road approx 700m W of Penmachno village centre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.