History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Agricultural Range SW of Glyn Lledr.

A Grade II Listed Building in Dolwyddelan, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0652 / 53°3'54"N

Longitude: -3.8227 / 3°49'21"W

OS Eastings: 277963

OS Northings: 353545

OS Grid: SH779535

Mapcode National: GBR 63.BV78

Mapcode Global: WH669.77Y0

Entry Name: Agricultural Range SW of Glyn Lledr.

Listing Date: 17 February 1997

Last Amended: 17 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18251

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Located at the end of a short track some 150m SW of Glyn Lledr, at the eastern boundary of the community; accessed via the Ty Mawr lane from the Pont-ar-Lledr.

County: Conwy

Community: Dolwyddelan

Community: Dolwyddelan

Locality: Pont Gethin

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Betws-y-coed

History

Late C18 barn with scratch date 1797; to this a stable addition was was added to the R (N) in 1821 by a Griffith Jones, as inscribed above the door. This range, and the associated cartshed, appear to have formed an agricultural complex for the nearby Glyn Lledr farm.

Exterior

Rubble-built barn range with flush, continuously-roofed, storeyed stable addition to N; slate roof with tiled ridge and brick parapet to L gable. The earlier barn has opposing boarded central entrances with a scratched date, 1797, to the R on the E side. Further, smaller entrance to the R with stable door and exposed timber lintel; ventilation slit to far L and 3 further vents to the L gable. To the rear, a catslide projection at L with 2 small lights and a boarded entrance to the L return; brick parapets as before. The narrower stable block is flush to the front (E). Symmetrical 2-window storeyed block with central recessed, boarded door. Small-pane sash windows with upper glazing intact and slatted vents to the lower halves; projecting slate cills and large slatestone lintels. Above the entrance the date 1821 and inscribed: 'Griffith Jones'. Reduced, slatted loft door to R gable.

Interior

The interior was not available for inspection at the time of survey (10/96).

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as a dated C18 and C19 agricultural complex.

Group value with other listed items SW of Glyn Lledr.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Carthouse SW of Glyn Lledr
    Located at the end of a short track some 150m SW of Glyn Lledr, at the eastern boundary of the community; accessed via the Ty Mawr lane from the Pont-ar-Lledr. The carthouse is immediately S of the ag
  • II* Pont Gethin
    Spanning the Lledr valley dramatically at the western boundary of the community with that of Betws-y-Coed and spanning the A 470 Llanrwst to Dolwyddelan road; partly in Betws-y-Coed community.
  • II Bwlch-y-Maen
    Reached via drive branching off forest track at SH 782 527.
  • II* Fedw Deg Old Farmhouse
    Above Lledr valley reached from forest track at SH 798 539 (near Tan-yr-allt) taking first L and then first R turnings.
  • II Llanerch Elsi
    Located some 200m SE of Llyn Elsi within the forestry land approximately 2.5km SW of Bettws-y-Coed; accessed via a series of forestry tracks leading SE from the A 5, 500m E of the Swallow Falls Hotel,
  • II* Ty Mawr
    At head of Wybrnant Valley approx 2.5 km NW of Penmachno. Best reached via signposted minor road branching N off Penmachno-Glasgwm road approx 700m W of Penmachno village centre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.