This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.203 / 53°12'10"N
Longitude: -4.1896 / 4°11'22"W
OS Eastings: 253845
OS Northings: 369562
OS Grid: SH538695
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.28R5
Mapcode Global: WH546.MR4D
Plus Code: 9C5Q6R36+54
Entry Name: Terraced Garden to N of Vaynol Old Hall
Listing Date: 26 August 1992
Last Amended: 22 September 1997
Source ID: 4169
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Laid out immediately N of the front driveway to Vaynol Old Hall. Its N end borders the walled garden to the rear of Dairy Cottage.
Locality: Vaynol Park
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
In the medieval period, Vaynol was part of the episcopal estate of the Bishops of Bangor. After the dissolution, it came into the Williams family of Cochwillan and elsewhere, passing out of their hands after the last of the Williams family died without issue in 1696. The garden appears to have been laid out contemporaneously with work on the Old Hall in the early to mid C17.
Walled and terraced garden in a late medieval-early Renaissance style, rising from S to N away from the front of the Old Hall, and bounded on 3 sides by tall rubble stone walls. Axial rounded steps, lead to a narrow cross walk which has the private chapel at the W end, and from which squared steps lead to the next level. In the upper section of the garden there is a circular pond, set at the node point of a wide bow in the upper wall, and at the centre of which is the 'gateway with inscriptions', giving access to the next walled garden at the rear of the later Dairy Cottage.
Graded II* as an especially well preserved and important example of a C16 or early C17 terraced garden of a type which very rarely survives in anything like a recognisable form. Also listed for its setting in front of the fine Grade I listed Vaynol Old Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings