History in Structure

NOS.11, 12, 13, 14 & 15 Cornhill, Gwynedd

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthmadog, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9237 / 52°55'25"N

Longitude: -4.1308 / 4°7'50"W

OS Eastings: 256849

OS Northings: 338375

OS Grid: SH568383

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYWJ

Mapcode Global: WH55L.JS50

Plus Code: 9C4QWVF9+FM

Entry Name: NOS.11, 12, 13, 14 & 15 Cornhill, Gwynedd

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Last Amended: 26 September 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 4418

Building Class: Domestic

ID on this website: 300004418

Location: In a row of terraced houses on the W side of Cornhill.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Built-Up Area: Porthmadog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.

Nos 11-12 Cornhill were built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and are first shown on the 1842 Tithe map. They were probably among the 'many good houses' mentioned in 1833. The basements were separate dwellings.


Built as a pair with No 12, No 11 is a late Georgian 2-window house of 2½ storeys and basement, of large squared slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses (now outlined with heavy cement pointing), slate roof and stone stack shared with the adjoining and taller No 10. To the R side are steps, rebuilt in cement and shared with No 12, to the entrance raised above street level, which has a fielded-panel door and overlight. Windows are 16-pane hornless sashes. The basement is cement-rendered. It has a central boarded door and replaced small-pane window to its L.


Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as a paired late Georgian town house in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and retaining definite early character and detail, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.