History in Structure

13, Cornhill (Pencei), Porthmadog harbour, Porthmadog

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthmadog, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9237 / 52°55'25"N

Longitude: -4.1309 / 4°7'51"W

OS Eastings: 256845

OS Northings: 338385

OS Grid: SH568383

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYV6

Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR4Y

Plus Code: 9C4QWVF9+FJ

Entry Name: 13, Cornhill (Pencei), Porthmadog harbour, Porthmadog

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Last Amended: 26 September 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85309

ID on this website: 300085309

Location: In a row of terraced houses on the W side of Cornhill.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Built-Up Area: Porthmadog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.

No 13 Cornhill was built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and is first shown on the 1842 Tithe map. It was probably among the 'many good houses' mentioned in 1833. The basement was a separate dwelling.


A 2-window house of 2½ storeys and basement, roofed in a single range with Nos 11-12 and 14-15 but separated from Nos 14-15 by a full-height vertical joint (the joint between Nos 12 and 13 is concealed by cement). Of large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof and coursed stone end stacks. Openings are offset to the L. The entrance on the L side is above street level, reached by stone steps. It has a replacement fielded-panel door under a narrow overlight. Windows are 4-pane hornless sashes, including 2 gabled roof dormers. On the R side slate steps lead down to a replacement boarded basement door to the L of centre, which has a window to its R.


Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved town house which forms part of a terrace in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and of definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.