This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9236 / 52°55'25"N
Longitude: -4.1308 / 4°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 256852
OS Northings: 338370
OS Grid: SH568383
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYWK
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JS51
Entry Name: Caffi y Morwr Madog (The Mariner Café) and house
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85299
Location: In a block on the W side of Cornhill.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.
Nos 8-10 Cornhill were built as a single block in the 2nd quarter of the C19, and are shown on the 1842 Tithe map, 1871 Tremadog estate plan and the 1885 harbour survey. The block is shown subdivided in its present form on the 1888 Ordnance Survey. Nos 8 and 9 have openings above ground level indicating commercial or industrial use.
A 3½-storey 2-window house and café roofed in a single range with Nos 7-9 but slightly wider, of distinctive large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof with added skylights, and shared stone stacks. The lower storey has 2 replacement glazed doors on the R side, to house and commercial premises respectively. A former shop window to the L is a 2-pane horizontal-sliding sash with replacement top-hung casement above. Middle and upper storeys have replacement 4-pane horned sash windows.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a part of a prominent harbour-side terrace notable for its distinctive use of local stone and of definite C19 regional character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings