History in Structure

14 Pencei (Cornhill), Porthmadog, Porthmadog

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthmadog, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9238 / 52°55'25"N

Longitude: -4.1309 / 4°7'51"W

OS Eastings: 256842

OS Northings: 338390

OS Grid: SH568383

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYV6

Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR3X

Plus Code: 9C4QWVF9+GJ

Entry Name: 14 Pencei (Cornhill), Porthmadog, Porthmadog

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Last Amended: 26 September 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85312

ID on this website: 300085312

Location: In a row of terraced houses on the W side of Cornhill.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Built-Up Area: Porthmadog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.

Nos 14-15 Cornhill were built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and are first shown on the 1842 Tithe map. They were probably among the 'many good houses' mentioned in 1833.


Belongs to a group of 14-15 Pencei (Cornhill).

A pair of 2½-storey double-fronted houses of large squared slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof with 2 skylights to each house, and stone end stacks. No 14 has raised rendered surrounds painted white, fielded-panel door under a narrow overlight, and 4-pane hornless sashes. No 15 has raised rendered surrounds, a replacement half-glazed door under a narrow overlight, and 4-pane horned sash windows. Each entrance has approach slate steps. No 14 has a dwarf forecourt wall of coursed, roughly shaped blocks, and No 15 has replacement steps.

Both houses have replacement rear windows and No 14 has an added large dormer.


Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as a paired town house in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and of definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.