This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9257 / 52°55'32"N
Longitude: -4.1282 / 4°7'41"W
OS Eastings: 257033
OS Northings: 338595
OS Grid: SH570385
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MRPN
Mapcode Global: WH55L.KQFG
Entry Name: Former outbuilding of Plas Ynys Tywyn (attached to Co-op supermarket)
Listing Date: 1 April 1974
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4429
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Set back from the street and attached to the Co-op supermarket.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
An outbuilding - probably a coach house - associated with Ynys Tywyn, the house and office built for John Williams, William Madocks' director of works for the Cob and later of Porthmadog harbour. It is shown on the 1842 Tithe map and is shown on the 1900 Ordnance Survey as part of a smithy. Now attached to a late C20 supermarket.
A lofted building of large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, and slate roof. The gable end has a bellcote over a replacement steel-framed small-pane loft window, beneath which is a similar but larger window. The L side wall has 3 open bays on slate-stone orthostats and lintels. In the R side wall is an inserted similar opening to make a pedestrian way through the building and enclosed within the open-fronted canopy across the Co-op supermarket, which is attached to the rear of the building.
Listed for its special interest as an early C19 building associated with the building of the Cob and harbour, notable for its distinctive use of local stone.
Other nearby listed buildings