This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9254 / 52°55'31"N
Longitude: -4.1286 / 4°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 257003
OS Northings: 338560
OS Grid: SH570385
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MRLG
Mapcode Global: WH55L.KQ6Q
Entry Name: Harbour Restaurant and house
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85335
Location: In a terrace near the SE end of High Street, opposite Heol y Parc.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Nos 1-9 High Street were built in the mid C19 and are shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey. Built originally as shops with houses above, early photographs show the façade stone-faced, which was later concealed by slate hanging. No 3 was a pharmacy in 1886.
One of a row of 4 late-Georgian style 3-storey 2-window shops with houses above. They have slate-hung fronts, a slate roof hipped to the R end (No 1) where the corner is also splayed, with transverse stone stacks and a fourth, pebble-dashed stack at the R end. The houses are not of equal width. No 1 is the widest, Nos 7 and 9 are narrower than No 3.
No 3 has its entrance to the L, a recessed replacement boarded door under an overlight. To its R is a modern shop window in an earlier opening and across the lower storey is an awning and modern fascia. The middle storey has replacement 12-pane horned sash windows and the upper-storey similar but shorter 9-pane sash windows.
The rear, where Nos 3, 7 and 9 are set slightly back from No 1, is of rubble stone laid in rough courses. No 3 retains some sash windows, has 30light small-pane casements in the upper storey, and has a narrow 2-storey rear wing.
Listed for its special architectural interest as part of a short terrace of houses and shops, notable for its distinctive use of slate-hanging and retaining definite C19 regional character, close to and making a visual contribution to the historical integrity of the harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings