This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6316 / 52°37'53"N
Longitude: -4.0757 / 4°4'32"W
OS Eastings: 259618
OS Northings: 305787
OS Grid: SH596057
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.774X
Mapcode Global: WH575.C3FV
Plus Code: 9C4QJWJF+MP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Egryn
Listing Date: 17 June 1966
Last Amended: 26 July 2000
Source ID: 4729
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The church is located on a S facing bluff above the confluence of two streams, NNW of the present nucleated village, and is reached by a minor road off the N end of the main village street.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Llanegryn church first appears in the 1253 Taxatio, probably as a dependent of the Cistercian house at Cymer which held lands in the area. The present structure is largely medieval, probably of the C14, including the S porch, although the font probably survived from an earlier building. The first incumbent was installed in 1469. Repairs are recorded from 1573, and the roof was further repaired in 1770. The church, whilst the living was held by Griffith Arthur Jones, an MP and leader of the Oxford Movement in Wales, underwent a major refurbishment between 1858-1876, including the erection of the vestry in 1876, and replacement of the windows.
The building is constructed of rubble stone, with a black ragstone W gable. Slate roof between raised copings on both E and W gable ends. Simple nave and chancel in a single cell with a medieval S porch, with the N vestry, boiler house and a tall gabled W bellcote added. 1- and 2-light windows with cusped heads, all C19, also the E window in a slightly curvilinear style with heavy hood moulds and diamond stops. The W window is a 2-light C19 plate tracery window with a quatrefoil head and relieving arch over. Ovolo eaves moulding on the S. The medieval S porch is gabled with a plain pointed external arch in the stone coped gable end.
The S porch has an arched braced collar truss, cusped above the collar, the chamfer of the arches embellished with regular diminutive nailheads and a central rose. Carved corbels. Cusped windbraces to the single purlin. Marble and slate floor, and stone benches each side. The S door is a pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders and a C19 door with elaborate iron hinges. The interior walls are whitewashed, and have a roof of 5 bays over the nave part, and 2 bays to the chancel, the E bay underdrawn with late medieval timber celure with applied ribs and bosses carved with leaves and symbols. The main roof has medieval arch-braced collar trusses. Two tiers of purlins with cusped windbraces. Quatrefoil frieze applied over the eaves ashlars. The chancel is paved with encaustic tiles. Two steps to the altar, the top step with fine encaustic tiles, dated 1846, possibly by Godwin. The major feature of the church is the extremely fine chancel screen and rood loft extending to the full width [6.32m] with a central gated opening to the chancel, all probably late C15 or early C16. The screen, of 7 bays, wider at the centre, has moulded stanchions and rail, with an openwork top stage, and the lower stage with applied tracery. The loft over is carved both sides, being more elaborate to the E. Panelled coving with large spreading leaf bosses alternating with smaller bosses exhibiting carvings of a stag, hedgehog, etc. with the symbols of the Passion. Two major friezes of undercut running vine scrolls form the cornice, surmounted by crestings both sides, and supporting moulded muntins front and back of the loft. Between each muntin, openwork carved panels in a variety of leaf and geometric forms. A further undercut scroll with crestings forms the capping. The W face is less elaborate, but follows the same programme. Applied buttresses on the muntins and triangular brackets over form emplacements for 14 statuettes. The intervening panels have applied tracery heads. The loft itself, which is 1.75m wide overall, has a mortice on the top rail each side, probably for the missing rood, suggesting it was once a rood chapel.
Glass: E window, a Crucifixion with figures in arched canopies, angels in the tracery, by H Hughes, 1872, a gift of W R M Wynne. N window, some old plain quarries but 7 yellow stained monograms and symbols. SW window, the Good Shepherd. W Window, Archangel announcing the Resurrection, also by Hughes, and the NW window, Christ and labourers, by Ward and Hughes, 1882.
Fixtures: Font, a lobed square bowl on a circular shaft, set in a ring of a square base, possibly C13. Pulpit, Octagonal, on a plain base, all C19. Organ installed 1872.
Monuments: E wall, N side, (a) a white marble aedicule, with fluted pilasters and entablature, and a cornice arched at the centre carrying 3 gadrooned urns. Apron with putto between carved corbels. At the centre an enriched tablet draped either side with the coloured mantled arms of Owen and crest over. Inscription to Richard Owen of Peniarth, d.1714, and Elizabeth Pughe, his wife, added 1738; East wall, S side: (b) a large marble monument of similar form, to Lewis Owen of Peniarth, [son of (a)], d.1729, and wife, Margaret Williams of Llanworda, Salop, and daughter Jane, who married Richard, Lord Bulkeley. Also added, Richard Owen, his son, d.1729; S Wall, from the E: (c) White Carrara marble on grey, by the Johns Carline of Salop, a monument in the form of a sarcophagus, with entablature embellished with anthemion, to the noted antiquary, William Wynne of Peniarth, d.1834, and various members of the family; (d) White marble tablet flanked by fluted columns, entablature over carrying arms with supporters on a panel supported by scrolls. Draped urn over and gerbs at the top, all set on a black marble field. To Edward Williams, d.1762, and Lady Bulkeley, heiress of Lewis Owen, d.1765; (e) Marble framed tablet to Jane Wynne of Wem, Caernarfon and Peniarth, d.1811. On the N wall, from the E: (f) A brass cross flanked by shields set on slate, to Mary Wynne, d.1866; (g) Mary Wynne, d.1900; (h) a brass cross and shields, with circumscription set in black marble, to William Watkin Edward Wynne of Peniarth, MP, d.1880; (i) a memorial tablet, as last, to William Robert Maurice Wynne, MP, d.1909; (j) a white marble aedicule with mantled arms breaking the pediment, animals on Ionic pilasters, to Owen Slaney Wynne, d.1908. In the floor, two further tablets, WW 1834, probably the entrance to the Wynne vault, and another inscribed HAEC AULA MANET HAEREDEM.
Included at Grade I as a building of largely medieval fabric including a fine C15 roof and containing an outstanding medieval screen and rood loft, and with fine monuments to the local Owen and Wynne families.
Other nearby listed buildings