History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables of Plas Newydd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2044 / 53°12'15"N

Longitude: -4.2163 / 4°12'58"W

OS Eastings: 252070

OS Northings: 369778

OS Grid: SH520697

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.228D

Mapcode Global: WH546.6QH8

Plus Code: 9C5Q6Q3M+QF

Entry Name: Stables of Plas Newydd

Listing Date: 30 January 1968

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5459

Building Class: Education

Location: Located 150m N of Plas Newydd, at the end of the drive from West Lodge, below a wide lawn leading down from the old dairy. The Grand Drive runs past the stables towards the house.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Estate

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Built as the main stables for Plas Newydd and forming part of a major building programme undertaken there at the end of the C18. Built by Joseph Potter in 1797 to accommodate 2 coaches and 14 horses, probably following designs of James Wyatt, replacing an earlier stable attached to the N of the house: Potter and Wyatt were the architects for the major remodelling of the main house, 1793-9. The work was supervised by Lt-Col William Peacock from Plas Llanfair to the N. Shown on a watercolour dated 1802 by William Fernyhough. In 1947 the stable block was leased to the H.M.S. Conway Training School along with the N wing of the house and the harbour. The stable block is presently used by the Conway Centre run by the Cheshire County Council.

Exterior

Symmetrical castellated and turreted composition in picturesque Gothick style. Triple-arched central entrance block with flanking 3-bay ranges stepped up to terminal pavilions, all articulated by circular angle turrets with embattled caps. Limestone ashlar with plinth, cornice band and embattled parapet; shallow-pitched slate roofs. Entrance block has 2-storey central bay with steep embattled gable with pronounced hood mould as cornice clasped between octagonal turrets with ogee domes. Arched coach-way to ground floor (with flat-arched entrance-way inset), balanced by similar blind arches with arched windows and oculi in the flanking bays. Blind arch to second storey with 4 lancet panels and clock-face set at its apex. The flanking ranges each have a 4-centred door either side of the circular turrets, with 2 arched traceried windows with hoodmoulds either side. The raised end pavilions each have a tall, 3-tier Perpendicular-style traceried pointed-arch window with hoodmould. To rear are return wings enclosing stable yard, that to the S incorporating domestic offices with inserted windows on S front, and 2 limestone chimney stacks. Paved stone carriage-way under arch.

Interior

The interior has been modernised.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of a late C18 stable block, forming part of the coherent programme of work at Plas Newydd carried out by Potter and Wyatt as architects. The stables form a striking picturesque gothic composition which deliberately complements the house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Plas Newydd
    Located 1.5km SW of Llanfairpwll on the A4080. Sited on an artificial terrace alongside the Menai Strait, overlooking the Snowdonia mountains to the E.
  • II Retaining wall with small jetty in Menai Strait
    Sea wall alongside Menai Strait forming an ornamental feature in the foreground of Plas Newydd, with jetty at S end.
  • II West Lodge, Plas Newydd
    Located on the SE side of the Brynsiencyn Road, at the entrance to the north-western approach to Plas Newydd.
  • II Old Dairy of Plas Newydd
    At the western edge of the grounds of Plas Newydd, a short distance from the A4080, opposite West Lodge. A wide lawn leads down to the stable block and Plas Newydd.
  • II Boathouse of Plas Newydd
    Located c100m S of Plas Newydd, alongside the small harbour for the Estate on the Menai Strait.
  • II Druid Lodge of Plas Newydd
    Located within the grounds of the Plas Newydd Estate, c600m N of the house.
  • II Dock at NW edge of Vaynol Park, (including the boathouse)
    Situated where the NW edge of Vaynol Park where it borders the Menai Strait, and is reached by the track that runs N close to the shore from Glan-y-mor Lodge to Boathouse Covert, immediately W of Ty
  • II Ty Glo
    Located at the W edge of Vaynol Park and at the S end of Boathouse Covert.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.