History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Retaining wall with small jetty in Menai Strait

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2025 / 53°12'8"N

Longitude: -4.2151 / 4°12'54"W

OS Eastings: 252144

OS Northings: 369558

OS Grid: SH521695

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.28KV

Mapcode Global: WH546.7R2S

Plus Code: 9C5Q6Q2M+XX

Entry Name: Retaining wall with small jetty in Menai Strait

Listing Date: 30 January 1968

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5463

Building Class: Maritime

Location: Sea wall alongside Menai Strait forming an ornamental feature in the foreground of Plas Newydd, with jetty at S end.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Estate

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Built from 1796, when Lord Uxbridge paid a bill for 'Blasting Rock in Boathouse & Bath', probably designed by Wyatt and Potter. Completed by 1819, with 'William Peter, stone mason, coping the Port and Bath walls. Circular End of Pierhead finished'. Along the walk are 5 'trunnion' Carronades of c1830-45, from Fort Belan battery, given by Lord Newborough as a wedding present to Lord and Lady Anglesey in 1948. The harbour was leased to the H.M.S. Conway Training School in 1947, now leased by Cheshire County Council.

Exterior

Sea wall and terrace with 3 semicircular bastions, the central supporting a flagspole. Walls of roughly coursed and squared masonry with flat slab coping, plain stone band on seaward side. Between the bastions are two rectangular projections with Gothick arches below opening onto Menai Strait. To the S is a covered dock or plunge bath with brick arch ceiling, reached via stone steps and brick tunnel-vaulted passage. To the N is narrrow jetty projecting into Menai Strait (part of which has been washed away), reached through a subterranean room, through a Gothick arch flanked by 2 Gothick windows, the one to S being blind. Room with 2 bay cross vault in brick and stone bench along rear wall. Fireplace with massive squared stone lintel. At the S end of the sea wall is a curving harbour wall and slipway with a later parapet and a battlemented bastion set behind. At the N end of the harbour is a concrete swimming pool dating from the 1950s, probably utilising some of the original harbour wall, and a small stone building.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a formal and ornamental foreground to Plas Newydd, when viewed from the Straits and eastern shore, gothick in character and almost miltary in idiom.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Plas Newydd
    Located 1.5km SW of Llanfairpwll on the A4080. Sited on an artificial terrace alongside the Menai Strait, overlooking the Snowdonia mountains to the E.
  • II Boathouse of Plas Newydd
    Located c100m S of Plas Newydd, alongside the small harbour for the Estate on the Menai Strait.
  • II Stables of Plas Newydd
    Located 150m N of Plas Newydd, at the end of the drive from West Lodge, below a wide lawn leading down from the old dairy. The Grand Drive runs past the stables towards the house.
  • II Old Dairy of Plas Newydd
    At the western edge of the grounds of Plas Newydd, a short distance from the A4080, opposite West Lodge. A wide lawn leads down to the stable block and Plas Newydd.
  • II Dock at NW edge of Vaynol Park, (including the boathouse)
    Situated where the NW edge of Vaynol Park where it borders the Menai Strait, and is reached by the track that runs N close to the shore from Glan-y-mor Lodge to Boathouse Covert, immediately W of Ty
  • II West Lodge, Plas Newydd
    Located on the SE side of the Brynsiencyn Road, at the entrance to the north-western approach to Plas Newydd.
  • II Ty Glo
    Located at the W edge of Vaynol Park and at the S end of Boathouse Covert.
  • II Druid Lodge of Plas Newydd
    Located within the grounds of the Plas Newydd Estate, c600m N of the house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.