This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6858 / 51°41'8"N
Longitude: -5.0885 / 5°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 186606
OS Northings: 203075
OS Grid: SM866030
Mapcode National: GBR G4.ZXBR
Mapcode Global: VH1RX.RW8K
Plus Code: 9C3PMWP6+8J
Entry Name: Dovecote
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 26 January 1996
Source ID: 5922
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In field immediately N of Castle Farm.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Circa C15. Circular plan with open eye at apex of dome. The dovecote was probably built to serve the Old Rectory, as both buildings are within the Rectorial Glebe.
Sandstone rubble masonry, slightly battered at foot. The masonry technique is a poorer version of that used in the Old Rectory, with small stones used to make up course sizes. The corbelled dome is almost complete. Projecting drip-courses at base of dome and halfway up the dome. The eye at the apex was about 0.3 m diameter in 1920, now it is broken away to a larger aperture. The entrance doorway faces SE, and was originally about 0.9 m wide by 1.5 m high, but masonry at its left was broken away early this century when the building was used as an animal shelter. Stone lintel and relieving arch.
A large number of flight holes penetrate the walls horizontally and are evidently original as they fit in with the nest box positions. Some are blocked. Parallels for this feature are found in Cornwall but not commonly in Wales.
Interior: 14 rows of 30 stone-built nest boxes. No potence. Alighting shelves at every third row of holes.
Ancient Monument No. Pe 67, 'Angle Dovecote'
Other nearby listed buildings