This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6378 / 51°38'16"N
Longitude: -4.6852 / 4°41'6"W
OS Eastings: 214282
OS Northings: 196641
OS Grid: SS142966
Mapcode National: GBR GF.SVHK
Mapcode Global: VH2PZ.Q3Z8
Entry Name: Church of Saint David
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 5933
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 50m W of Caldey Abbey chapel.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Locality: Caldey Village
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Medieval church restored in 1838, 1900 and 1925 according to inscriptions in the porch. The plan of short nave and short chancel suggests a C12 or early C13 date. The Rev W D Bushell thought the chancel E and S walls were rebuilt in 1838, and also the roofs. He restored the church again in 1900, and works were done in 1906 prior to the arrival of the Anglican Benedictine monks. A survey drawing of the inner W door by J Coates Carter may indicate that the work in 1925 was by him. This work may include the 2 2-light S windows, exposing the round arch of the original W door, raising the W porch to allow for this, and reroofing in clay tiles. The work in 1906 was probably by J C Hawes, who as Brother Jerome was one of the monks. Old photographs show the S windows to have been pointed with 2-light Y-tracery in timber. Old photographs show a thin metal screen in the chancel arch, an organ, a painted rood on plaster above, and an altar with hangings in chancel.
Church, rubble stone with red Bridgwater-tile roofs. Nave and chancel, W bellcote, added W porch and N side lean-to. Short square nave has one 2-light C19 S window, plain W roundel and tiny N arched light. Tiled gabled squat bellcote with opening for a single bell. W porch has arch of 3 stones and 1925 restoration plaque over. Stone seats and slate floor within. Chancel has similar 2-light S window and small pointed N window. E end has no windows but blocked pointed door with brick head to left.
Nave of some 9 m square has walls some 90 cm thick. Exposed rubble walls, formerly plastered. W door uncovered in 1907 has arched head on inside, within wider arch with stone voussoirs, possibly Norman but without datable features. E end of nave has a full-height recess with inserted chancel arch, but the rough imposts are probably original. Nave N door to lean-to vestry. S window shows brick head of earlier C19 previous window. Chancel, some 5.2 m square, has plastered walls, thinner masonry than nave except on the N. Roofs are tie-beam trusses with wishbone struts, C19 or early C20.
Fittings: Both S windows have stained glass by Dom Bede Bailey, each with 2 figures against background of pale coloured quarries. Nave 2-light, after 1924, has bishop and king, chancel 2-light, after 1922, has 2 female saints. Tiny nave N window has coloured glass quarries, chancel N small pointed light has fish in bright colours, similar style to trees and star in W roundel. Big ashlar font by Eric Gill, earlier C20, with chamfered deep square bowl on trefoil-plan shaft with column shafts in angles. Column shafts have spiral decoration. Bowl has lip on N side with oval hollow. Nave altar made of blocks of rough alabaster. Chancel altar, later C20 trapezoid, free-standing. Above chancel arch is rood beam with Crucifixion, SS Mary and John, carved in Oberammergau.
Included as a small medieval church with good earlier C20 stained glass and font.
Other nearby listed buildings