History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grove Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Carew, Pembrokeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6896 / 51°41'22"N

Longitude: -4.8288 / 4°49'43"W

OS Eastings: 204570

OS Northings: 202772

OS Grid: SN045027

Mapcode National: GBR GB.SL7W

Mapcode Global: VH2PJ.8S2M

Entry Name: Grove Manor

Listing Date: 14 May 1970

Last Amended: 6 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5946

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In extensive grounds immediately S of St Mary's churchyard. There is a gateway in the churchyard wall for the use of this house. High boundary wall to the access lane with iron gate.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Tenby

Community: Carew (Caeriw)

Community: Carew

Locality: Carew Cheriton

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in


The house is of two periods, the old house now serving as the kitchen wing. The main range was built by Richard Barrett, Pembroke architect and surveyor, in 1836. Barrett also carried out improvements at the Church at this date. The house remained a vicarage until c.1975, when it acquired its present name. The render finish has been stripped off recently and the stonework re-pointed.


The original house is now the two-storey N wing. Limestone rubble masonry. Slated roof with tile ridges. Two units, the N unit being slightly advanced on the E face. Six-pane sash windows. The 1836 addition is a rectangular block with its entrance on the E-facing short side. Random rubble stonework on all faces. Hipped slate roof with lead ridges and hips and a central brick chimney. At the entrance side there is a two-storey bow at the left and the main entrance door at the right. Pilastered doorway with fanlight in an open pediment. Curved 12-pane sash windows centrally in the bow. The bow is roofed with a leaded flat. Two-window S range with sash windows of 12 panes. The window above the door is a smaller 12-pane sash window. The flat-arches and the jambs of the S-facing windows are in brick, now (1995) exposed to view.


One door in the older part with L-hinges, other doors of four panels. In the bedroom of the N unit the roof principals are partly visible. In the 1836 main range the reception rooms have high ceilings and original plaster cornices. Fireplaces of the reception rooms inserted, but a complete set of original cast-iron bedroom fireplaces survive. Box shutters to the windows. There are extensive cellars beneath the 1836 range with original ledged and battened doors, with wooden lock-blocks. The main cellar room is said to have been the servants' hall.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine early C19 house with earlier origins retaining much of its character internally as well as externally. Historical association and group value with the Church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.