This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6682 / 51°40'5"N
Longitude: -4.8713 / 4°52'16"W
OS Eastings: 201538
OS Northings: 200502
OS Grid: SN015005
Mapcode National: GBR G9.VT7B
Mapcode Global: VH1S7.JB2J
Plus Code: 9C3QM49H+7F
Entry Name: Old School House
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Source ID: 5965
Building Class: Education
Location: At E side of A4139 passing through Lamphey village, immediately N of the church.
Community: Lamphey (Llandyfái)
Locality: Lamphey Village
Built-Up Area: Lamphey
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
History: In c.1828 a National School was established which was described by Lewis in 1834 as 'a commodious schoolroom' (for about 100 children) and 'a neat cottage for the residence of the master and mistress.' The National Society contributed £70 and Charles Mathias £50, a deficiency then being made up by the Vicar, Rev. J B Byers. The land was provided by Mathias on a 60 years lease in exchange for another piece of land belonging to the parish. Both day and Sunday schools appear to have been held, the latter perhaps predating the building. The school was praised in the 1847 report.
Description: The cottage is of two storeys, in rendered rubble masonry. Hipped slate roof with tiled hips and ridge. Two windows above in the front elevation facing W, but three windows beneath: the central window at ground storey was formerly a door. Two-light casement windows with pointed heads. Three panes above transom with curved V-bars. Each casement of two panes. A similar window in the N elevation is a copy. End chimneys, rendered, with capping. The house has been extended at the rear and a new main entrance formed. Modern conservatory to N.
Listed, notwithstanding modern alterations, for group value with the Church.
References: Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1834)
Inquiry into Education in Wales (1847) 391
Dyfed Arch. Trust S&M PRN 4411
Other nearby listed buildings