This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6675 / 51°40'2"N
Longitude: -4.8716 / 4°52'17"W
OS Eastings: 201518
OS Northings: 200428
OS Grid: SN015004
Mapcode National: GBR G9.VT4Z
Mapcode Global: VH1S7.HCY1
Plus Code: 9C3QM48H+X9
Entry Name: Converted out building to right of Baker's Cottage
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Source ID: 17389
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At E side of the A4139 passing through Lamphey village, immediately S of the church
Community: Lamphey (Llandyfái)
Locality: Lamphey Village
Built-Up Area: Lamphey
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
History: A house probably of the C18, believed to have been a small staging inn called 'The Venison'. At some time since acquisition by Charles Mathias in 1821 as part of Lamphey Estate, it became a bakery. In 1838 it was in the ownership of Abraham Leach and the tenant was George Macken. The cottage is also believed to have been occupied at one time (c.1875) by a governess.
In c.1890 Joseph Bond installed a Tonks baking oven, the front panel of which is now preserved affixed to a wall at the rear of the house. This was worked in addition to a traditional brick bread oven. The front of a later Princie oven is also displayed.
In c.1925 R E G White converted a little stable adjacent to the house at the S to serve as a new bakery.
Description: Original house and shop facing W to the street, rendered and coloured white. Range of three windows. Slate roof with tile ridge. End-chimneys, not rendered. The upper windows are two-pane casements with dormer heads, the triangular fronts of the latter are also glazed in three panes with V-bars. The dormers have ornamental bargeboards and finials. The windows below have two-pane sashes. Small shop extension at S, with a blocked opening to the front.
Rubble stone garden wall at front with wooden gate and a coping of spaced upright stones
To the S a single-storey building with its gable to the front said to have been a stable and later used as a bakery, perhaps reduced in height. Rubble masonry brought to courses. Slate roof with tile ridge. Small central brick chimney.
The house with converted stable and front garden wall listed for group value with the Church.
Reference: Local information
Other nearby listed buildings