This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6737 / 51°40'25"N
Longitude: -4.9118 / 4°54'42"W
OS Eastings: 198766
OS Northings: 201234
OS Grid: SM987012
Mapcode National: GBR G8.WNC0
Mapcode Global: VH1S6.T667
Entry Name: Walls on line of medieval town walls, including two medieval towers, gazebo, and lime-kiln.
Listing Date: 6 September 1976
Last Amended: 29 July 2005
Source ID: 6342
Building Class: Defence
Location: On the S side of the town extending some 225m E from no. 5 Common Road to Rock Terrace.
Community: Pembroke (Penfro)
Built-Up Area: Pembroke
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The town walls, of probably late C12 to early C13 origin, are shown in Speed's map and on the C17 'French' map, but little of medieval date appears to survive above ground . It is possible that the rear garden walls to properties on both sides of Main Street may either incorporate some foundations of the medieval walls or may be built in several places on their course. The walls along the S side include two medieval towers (Scheduled Ancient Monuments), and are otherwise mostly garden end walls possibly on the foundations of the medieval walls or built on their course. The walls run from No 5 Common Road to Rock Terrace.
Walls, rubble stone, partly built on bedrock. The first section appears to be the S walls of outbuildings built parallel to the old wall line behind Nos. 87-91 Main St..
Straight joint to right of No 5 Common Road and a high rubble wall, with door to right and access ramp up, behind No 87 Main Street, then straight joint and low door to rear garden of No 89 and ramp running down to E, further door at lower level at end of ramp and window with brick head at higher level to right. This section not marked on c. 1865 map. Then a straight joint to a C19 lofted outbuilding (marked on c. 1865 map) with corrugated iron roof, a stone doorway at left and two windows with brick heads. Ramp in front. E end gable has broad entry with high timber lintel. This building probably has the older wall as the back wall as this continues the line of the walls further E. (High separate stone terrace walls in the steep rear garden of Nos. 89-91 and continued E to rear of Tabernacle Chapel). E of the outbuilding described above is a wall of stone rubble behind No 91 which has been broken in the centre for a broad opening, the walling much rebuilt.
Behind Tabernacle Congregational Church, a doorway, then an early C19 lime kiln, comprising a semi-circular stone projection with recess on each side giving access to curved pointed kiln-eyes. Behind is an area of rough ground with shallow caves or quarries. High walls running back to chapel S retaining wall, straight joint at foot of E wall, then door and higher section of wall behind No 93, rebuilt wall and another two doors behind Nos. 95 and 97. Garden wall to S of no 99 Main Street is more substantial and has a doorway to left of one of the towers of the medieval town wall.
Round rubble stone medieval tower has arrow slots on two levels and overgrown roof possibly vaulted. Tower is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
To right of tower, behind No 101 the wall is set back with a stub wall dividing two recesses, the right one roofed as a garage. The stub wall is curved at the S end of the W side. The c. 1865 map shows a building on this site.
Garden door to No 101 to right with earth ramp in front. More substantial walling behind Nos. 103 and 105, the ramp leads up to a doorway; a further ramp against wall of no 105. The walling drops considerably in height to rear of no 107 where there is a vehicular doorway with concrete lintel. A yellow brick passage entry to no 109 Main Street adjoins this. The garden wall to rear of no 111 Main Street is much higher; a lateral ramp leads up to stone doorway at W end.
Here too, a further Scheduled Ancient Monument, comprising the base of a medieval bastion, rubble stone with loop each floor on S, arched door with stone voussoirs to E and loop over. Interior lined in C20 blockwork.
Built on to bastion is gazebo formerly part of garden of No 111. Later C18, restored in late C20, deteriorating 2004. Two-storey octagon with pebbledashed stone rubble walls with stucco quoins and window surrounds. Octagonal pagoda roof of shaped slates with ball finial. It formerly had a wooden eaves cornice, replaced with iron gutters, partly missing 2004. In N E, S and W faces, there are renewed sash windows, long 12-pane in the upper storey, and, in W, S and E faces, short 9-pane sashes.
To E of the bastion and gazebo, a short length of overgrown high wall as far as No 4 Rock Terrace.
Included at a higher grade as stretch of wall with two medieval towers, an C18 gazebo and early C19 lime kiln, an important surviving part of the Pembroke town walls. Scheduled Ancient Monument PE015 (PEM).
Other nearby listed buildings