This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7962 / 51°47'46"N
Longitude: -4.7425 / 4°44'33"W
OS Eastings: 210978
OS Northings: 214392
OS Grid: SN109143
Mapcode National: GBR CW.Y28Y
Mapcode Global: VH2P5.R35W
Plus Code: 9C3QQ7W4+FX
Entry Name: Narbeth Castle
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 17 May 1988
Source ID: 6473
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated on a scraped eminence overlooking the valley and river crossing on the southern approaches to the town.
Community: Narberth (Arberth)
Built-Up Area: Narberth
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Single-ward stone castle built soon after 1257 following destruction of Sentence Castle by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd. Burnt in 1299, but rebuilt. Granted to Sir Rhys ap Thomas in 1516. Reverted to the crown in 1531 following act of attainder on Sir Rhys ap Gruffydd, when said to be in state of decay. It was, however, inhabited as late as 1657.
Rectangular site. Half moon outwork covers S front. Ruins of 2 quarter-engaged drum towers with battered bases. SE tower (bakehouse and chapel tower), has aumbry to 1st storey former reveal; window opening to 2nd storey. SW tower survives to 3 storeys. (Larder with 2 chambers over) pointed arches to 2nd floor openings, broad internal splays to ground floor openings. At right angles to N, fragment of walling rises to 1st storey height (former kitchens with hall over). Cambered openings to ground floor - modern blocking. Traces of arched openings to 1st floor level. Corbels.
On W of enclosure tracers of curtain with 2 semicircular bastions, one with drain.
On E vaulted cellar with 3 openings, centre enlarged to form doorway. Original door to S end but with modern work. Section of wall over bear evidence of window to former great chamber.
Also on E remains of tower with battered base below stringcourse. Evidence of 2 garderobes with chutes to angle with curtain. Flues to 1st and 2nd floors.
(Buttery with 2 chambers over).
The site of the Great Tower with its forebuilding and adjoining gatehouse lie obscured at N end of site.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.(PE040)
Other nearby listed buildings