This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7964 / 51°47'47"N
Longitude: -4.7445 / 4°44'40"W
OS Eastings: 210839
OS Northings: 214425
OS Grid: SN108144
Mapcode National: GBR CW.Y1S6
Mapcode Global: VH2P5.Q33Q
Plus Code: 9C3QQ7W4+H5
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 17 May 1988
Source ID: 6475
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located within a spacious churchyard at the end of Church Street on the southern edge of the town.
Community: Narberth (Arberth)
Built-Up Area: Narberth
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Mid C13 foundation, altered in early C19 and largely rebuilt in 1882 by T G Jackson of London in Decorated style. Original church of nave with S porch and chapel and N tower; of which tower and N wall of nave remain.
6 bay aisle-less nave, chancel with rectangular sanctuary; vestry and further pews from parallel range with medieval N tower.
Random coursed rubble, dressed quoins. Steep slate roofs raking gable parapets on kneelers, Celtic cross finials. Stepped buttresses to S wall of nave, W end and sanctuary. Decorated windows, some with curvilinear tracery.
Moulded pointed W door, 5 light window over, returned hoodmould. 2 light windows to S nave bays, cusped lancet adjoins polygonal turret with crocketed pinnacle to E. Blind N nave wall possible medieval.
Corbelled eaves to chancel, cusped lancets. 2 light cambered, intersecting tracery windows to sanctuary sides. Tall 3 light window to E end, hoodmould returned to buttresses.
2 light window to vestry on E, pointed door. Lancet and 3 light flat headed window to N. Earlier masonry.
3 stage Medieval "Pembrokeshire" tower incorporating slight vice projection with slits on W. Embattled parapet on corbels, stone voussoirs to louvres of bellstage. Slits to 2nd stage. Pointed doorway to N.
Tripartite arches stone screen canted back towards chancel, round piers, stopped hoodmoulds, rear arches carried on corbels. Broad pointed arches to vestry, organ chamber, and extra pews. Cusped sedilia to sanctuary, marble colonettes, vine scroll spandrels. Trefoil aumbry. Nookshaft to E window. Contemporary front and pulpit. Plain vault to tower base, spiral vice. Crown posts and struts to nave wagon roof. Group of early C19 tablets to N wall of nave. Late glass.
Other nearby listed buildings