This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7972 / 51°47'50"N
Longitude: -4.7422 / 4°44'31"W
OS Eastings: 211005
OS Northings: 214511
OS Grid: SN110145
Mapcode National: GBR CW.XVTL
Mapcode Global: VH2P5.R3C2
Plus Code: 9C3QQ7W5+V4
Entry Name: The Rutzen Arms P.H.
Listing Date: 21 August 1986
Last Amended: 17 May 1988
Source ID: 6499
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Major section of terraced group near the bottom of the street and to N of the castle.
Community: Narberth (Arberth)
Built-Up Area: Narberth
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Dated 1833, built for Baron de Rutzen; ceased to be a hotel circa 1940 and has since been used as a warehouse.
Later Georgian stepped 3-storey stucco main elevation with plinth, parapet and painted ground floor. Four-window front forward to the right with outer bays advanced and 3-window front set back to left with central bay flanked by pilaster strips; both fronts symmetrical. Slate roofs, brick and cement render chimney stacks. Small-pane sash glazing including one tripartite window to centre of the 3-window section which has lintels to the 1st floor. Outer 1st floor windows to right are set in semi-circular headed recesses over elliptical arched openings with imposts, gated to right and filled in with sash window to left. Arched and gated coach entrance to centre of the 3-window front with raised lettering above reading; "Erected in the Year MDCCCXXXIII By Charles Frederick Baron de Rutzen KM"; flanking arched entrances below blind tablets, architrave and keystone to left with Masonic emblem.
The building was in poor condition, especially internally, at the time of inspection (January 1988).
Whitewashed rubble entrance passage of left opens into service courtyard with timber lintel below semi-circular relieving arches formerly with lean-to right. Cross range to left and right. The former has a jetted brick 1st floor over whitewashed and sash glazed ground floor with plinth; tripartite segmental windows to 1st floor lighting former Masonic hall, Victoria Hall, formerly the Market Hall, to rear. Rubble rear to the main building with breeze block infill.
The staircase leading to the Masonic Hall retains floral carving to the newel post.
Other nearby listed buildings