History in Structure

Maes Mawr

A Grade II* Listed Building in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8944 / 51°53'39"N

Longitude: -3.283 / 3°16'58"W

OS Eastings: 311806

OS Northings: 222543

OS Grid: SO118225

Mapcode National: GBR YT.QY09

Mapcode Global: VH6C7.1NQ2

Plus Code: 9C3RVPV8+QQ

Entry Name: Maes Mawr

Listing Date: 17 January 1963

Last Amended: 17 December 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6729

Building Class: Domestic

ID on this website: 300006729

Location: On low lying ground E of the Caerfanell river and on the E edge of the village of Talybont, reached off the B4558.

County: Powys

Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)

Community: Talybont-on-Usk

Locality: Talybont on Usk

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Probably C16 early unit left, extended mid C17 to provide a room with lateral chimney to right, with central doorway between, and size more than doubled in later C17 with the addition of rear wings. Property of Powel(l) family from c 1600, Jenkin Jones, belonging to a collateral branch and born 1623, played an important role both in the Parliamentary Army and in Welsh religious life especially as a preacher in mid C17; in 1657 became minister at Llanddetti. Thomas Powel(l) died 1693 may have remodelled hall and added wings. Further remodelling in C18 provided rear staircase between the wings lit by Venetian window. Single storey bakehouse added to W.


Large farmhouse of cement-rendered stone with steep pitched Welsh slate roof, slightly swept eaves to front and rendered end stacks and large axial stack. Plan of 3 parallel gabled wings with cross wing now forming main S frontage. This is of 2 storeys and attic, 3 window range of 2/2 pane cambered head sashes; ground floor has two 8/8 pane cambered head sashes flanking a central simple flat roofed portico with panelled door. Rear left and right gable ends are 3 storeyed with on top floor 6 pane sashes under a hoodmould; on first floor left an 8/12 pane sash window and to right 8/8; ground floor left has similar sash window and a C20 replacement to right. The centre staircase bay has a Venetian staircase window at first floor level with doorway below.


Plan recorded in Brycheiniog and unchanged since shows early unit front left with stairs ascending beside fireplace; front right a slighly later hall and to rear two rooms of later C17 divided by the C18 staircase. More interior features eg fireplaces probably survive under later remodelling. Front early unit divided from later by partition. Fine staircase has very wreathed handrail and turned balusters, some wall panelling. 6 panelled doors throughout.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an important early gentry farmhouse retaining a fine staircase.

Group value with barn range.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barn range at Maes Mawr
    On the opposite side of the lane from Maes Mawr farmhouse, reached off B4558.
  • II Glynderi
    Facing the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal and Bridge No. 142 on the E side of Talybont and immediately adjacent to the limekilns at Brynhyfryd.
  • II Yr Aildy
    Fronting the canal towpath and built into the slope, the rear facing The Travellers Rest Inn on B4558, at the SE edge of Talybont village.
  • II* Limekilns at Brynhyfryd
    On the S bank of the Canal, within the grounds of Brynhyfryd, on the E edge of the village of Talybont.
  • II Former Counting House
    Set into the bank above the canal, one side fronting the mountain road the other the canal, on the SE edge of Talybont village.
  • II Brynhyfryd
    Overlooking the canal on the E border of Talybont village and reached by a drive adjacent to the canal bridge and the limekilns.
  • II Pair of railway bridges over road and canal at Talybont
    In the centre of Talybont village, close to the White Hart Inn and parallel with Afon Caerfanell, carrying the disused railway line over the B4558 and the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.
  • II White Hart Inn
    Occupying a prominent position in the centre of the village and backing onto the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal at a higher level; the Caerfanell River and aqueduct adjacent to W, and the former rail

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.