This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9591 / 51°57'32"N
Longitude: -3.3244 / 3°19'27"W
OS Eastings: 309094
OS Northings: 229783
OS Grid: SO090297
Mapcode National: GBR YS.LL21
Mapcode Global: VH6C0.B1D0
Entry Name: Waunmynich Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 January 1963
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 6772
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the NW part of the community, NW of the hamlet of Llan-y-wern, on high ground a little W of Waunymynach Common.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
C17 core unit of hall left and parlour right; rear stair turret may replace stair beside chimney stack. Front porch and left unit added later C17/early C18; dairy range added to right later C18. Gwaunymynach translates into English as monk's mead, indicating monastic land once the property of the Benedictine Priory of Brecon. After Dissolution it was bought by Thomas Lewis gent who died 1615. Either he or his son Howel Thomas rebuilt main part of house; Howel Powell inherited 1716 and turned inner room to a heated parlour with contemporary fireplace. This is roughly contemporary with the separate kitchen and granary block of 1736 adjacent; the lower end of the former byre may have been rebuilt also as part of this expansion.
Farmhouse of stone rubble limewashed with slate roof partly renewed, with 3 dormers mostly renewed; renewed brick ridge stacks. One storey and attic; plan of three units lengthwise of single room width, all retaining slightly different roof pitches or ridge levels, and large central cross gabled two storey porch wing. Most windows are large 2/2 pane horned sashes though dairy wing to right retains two 6/6 pane horned sashes to first floor, close under eaves; ground floor doorway with planked door. Main entrance into porch is through a segmental arched doorway centre left. The farmhouse is separated from the yard in front by a stone rubble wall; which adjoins the separately listed kitchen and granary building at right angles; also separately listed is a large barn range forming the far boundary of the large farmyard to right.
No access to interior (September 1997). Existing listing description refers to panelling and old oak door with original ironwork. Brycheiniog shows plan of entry through porch into parlour left, with central chimney and rear staircase turret and hall to right. Reference is also made to ovolo moulded jambs to stair doorway, an oak partition, a pantry in place of the former passage and byre rebuilt as kitchen.
Listed as an important regional gentleman's farmhouse maintaining much of its historic fabric, and for its importance in the complex of farmhouse, separate kitchen/granary range, and large barn.
Group value with the two latter.
Other nearby listed buildings