This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.749 / 52°44'56"N
Longitude: -3.0531 / 3°3'11"W
OS Eastings: 329011
OS Northings: 317339
OS Grid: SJ290173
Mapcode National: GBR 73.ZWBX
Mapcode Global: WH8BH.25DD
Plus Code: 9C4RPWXW+HQ
Entry Name: Llandrinio Hall
Listing Date: 31 January 1953
Last Amended: 29 December 1994
Source ID: 7615
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house lies 600m W of the parish church, at the end of the an avenue of trees planted c.1920.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The house is said to replace a building extant before 1589 in the kitchen garden to the SW, occupied at one time by John y cap goch. The present house was built for Walter Clopton, nephew of the Bishop of St Asaph and Sheriff of Montgomeryshire, 1682, and occupied by subsequent sheriffs 1775 (Clopton Prhys), in 1855 (Edmund Peel, cousin of Sir Robert Peel), and 1907.
Gentry house. 1678-1682 with major remodelling by John Bill c.1815. Red brick, partially rendered, and slate roofs. Two storeys, cellars and attics, 'H' plan with central hall with lateral stack and flanking gabled wings, each wing with two external stacks. High chamfered brick plinth, and plat band to the outward facing walls of both wings. Originally a high pitched roof with 6 dormers, altered c.1815 when doors and windows replaced. Central paired glazed doors to hall within a fluted Doric doorcase and a flat entablature bearing cut quatrefoils. Flanking 16-pane sashes to ground floor, and tripartite 16-pane sashes to wings and over the entrance porch, the frames being panelled and having plaster fan decoration within segmental heads. Twelve-paned tripartite windows to first floor, and semi-circular thermal windows to attic level. Windows to the rear elevation restored after removal of C19 wing and central block infilling the 'H' in c.1970, but some unfortunate C20 windows. The wings have bargeboards returning as partial wooden cornice of open pediment. The rear stacks of each wing are larger, and have been reduced at their tops.
Very fine C17 major stair with spindle balusters in E wing extended up all 3 stories, and similar secondary stair on the W wing, both dog-legged around a well, and similar smaller stair in right wing. Window reveals panelled and with shutters. Cellars under both wings, with connecting through passage under hall. No original fireplaces survive.
Other nearby listed buildings