This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7473 / 52°44'50"N
Longitude: -3.0431 / 3°2'35"W
OS Eastings: 329687
OS Northings: 317143
OS Grid: SJ296171
Mapcode National: GBR 73.ZZ6C
Mapcode Global: WH8BH.765P
Entry Name: New Hall
Listing Date: 29 December 1994
Last Amended: 29 December 1994
Source ID: 15403
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farmhouse lies back from the road, with its farmyard on W side.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Farmhouse: Late C16-C17 and early C19 for Pemberton family.
Owned by Thomas ap Ieuan ap David ap Ieuan in 1630 then the seat of the Evans family 1630 to 1770.
Red brick with slate roof. 2 storeys, extended up to 3 storeys in C19. 4 bays, rectangular plan with central rebuilt stack on front elevation, and stack to E gable. Plat band between second and third floors, and brick dentilled eaves, enclosing a 2-storied close studded timber framed building with first floor jettied on N, S and W sides.
Entrance in 2nd bay from right. Panelled part-glazed door in moulded frame and 4-paned fanlight within slender iron-columned open porch. Front windows replaced c.1984 to ground floor 1984 with timber windows, bowed with moulded cornices on ground floor, and 2-light casement windows to upper floors.
Parlour at W end and the storeroom behind have a deeply chamfered dragon beams and chamfered joists. Main stack has ovens (now hidden) and large service fireplace at E end. Simple C17 dog-leg stair with edge mouldings to square newels and stick balusters. Six roof trusses survive, with brick gable at E end, forming 4 bays with intermediate trusses in bays 2 and 3, all with queen struts to deep (530mm) collars, and raking struts to principal rafters carrying double trenched purlins. Straight windbraces. Major 4-flue brick stack with vertical panels of angle brick ribs, rebuilt above roof level. West gable truss exposed externally. Truss 6 infilled with wattle and daub and is smoke blackened on its E face, suggested a fire bay at the service end of the house.
An important building retaining much of its early structure and lying at the centre of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings