History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garthmyl Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Berriew, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5822 / 52°34'55"N

Longitude: -3.1956 / 3°11'44"W

OS Eastings: 319088

OS Northings: 298935

OS Grid: SO190989

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.BFWK

Mapcode Global: WH7B1.WCG8

Entry Name: Garthmyl Hall

Listing Date: 26 October 1953

Last Amended: 21 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7686

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set back from the main A483 road among trees immediately SW of the junction with the B4385 at Garthmyl.

County: Powys

Community: Berriew (Aberriw)

Community: Berriew

Locality: Garthmyl

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Montgomery

History

The first building on the site was a large timber-framed mansion of late C17 date. This was replaced in 1762 by the present house, but in 1859 it was substantially remodelled. This later work was carried out by James K.Colling for a Major Gould, and involved the addition of stone quoins, new fenestration, pediment, and Tuscan porch.

Exterior

Brick with stone dressings and slate roof, with axial brick stacks with stone caps. 2 storeys, 5 window range with 6-window return elevations. Entrance front has central bay slightly advanced and pedimented, with coupled Tuscan pilasters to porch. 12-pane sash windows on each floor of outer bays, and above the doorway, all with stone voussoir heads. Stone angle quoins and modillion eaves cornice. Simpler detailing in return elevations.

Interior

Said to be entirely Victorian, with Italianate plasterwork, and an Ionic screen separating entrance hall from staircase.

Reasons for Listing

A fine example of an Italianate country house of the mid C19 which is of additional interest as it represents the remodelling of an earlier house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stables at Garthmyl Hall
    Immediately NE of Garthmyl Hall.
  • II Wayside
    On the A483, almost opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.
  • II Telephone Call-box in front of Nag's Head PH
    Set to the rear of wide pavement at land in main road opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.
  • II Nags Head PH
    On the A483, almost opposite the junction with the B4385 Montgomery Road.
  • II Former Nags Head Maltings
    Adjacent to the Nags Head Public House, to its north alongside the Montgomeryshire Canal.
  • II Bridge 131 over The Montgomeryshire Canal
    Carries the former main Newtown-Welshpool road over the Montgomery Canal immediately north of the Nags Head Public House.
  • II Former Canal Warehouse
    On the original line of the main Welshpool-Newtown road which is now set back from the present road line, built below the embankment of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 150m approx. N of the Nags Head Publi
  • II Southern Kiln-Bank at Garthmyl
    Built against the embankment of the Montgomeryshire Canal in open ground approx 300m N of the Nags Head Public House.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.