History in Structure

Llowes Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Glasbury, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0689 / 52°4'8"N

Longitude: -3.1751 / 3°10'30"W

OS Eastings: 319551

OS Northings: 241821

OS Grid: SO195418

Mapcode National: GBR YZ.CT7Z

Mapcode Global: VH6BH.X8BB

Plus Code: 9C4R3R9F+HX

Entry Name: Llowes Court

Listing Date: 18 September 1960

Last Amended: 18 January 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 8772

Building Class: Domestic

ID on this website: 300008772

Location: Located below the main Hereford to Brecon road, 300m E of Llowes village, and standing in its own grounds.

County: Powys

Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)

Community: Glasbury

Locality: Llowes

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


A large gentry house of the late C16-early C17, probably that built by Thomas Fychan c.1570, consisting of a main range of 4 bays, the main front originally facing E with a 2-storey entrance porch, and turned to face W in the C18 - perhaps in 1773, see date on one roof truss. Many windows repaired or replaced in C20 to a high standard.


Rubble stone, mostly harled in mid-late C20, with slate roofs, and some stone slates on wing. Two storeys and attic, the main range comprising a hall and parlour, the former with a central 2½ storey porch superimposed on a gable on the N end, the parlour end having a wing with gable stack to the E, now containing a secondary entrance to a stair passage, and kitchen. Door in porch planked and nailed, set in a chamfered oak frame, much replaced in C20. External stone stack to hall at the side of the porch terminates with two diagonally set stone flues. Two and 3-light timber windows with iron casements, with leaded glazing. North gable of main range has, to the left of the part-external gable stack, 5-light diagonally mullioned oak windows on 2 floors. The W elevation has 3 bays of 12-pane sashes, and an added slated porch and C19 door superceding the original door which was immediately S, and which has been adapted in the C19 to a low window. This elevation is extended in the C19 in a 2-storey block of lower height, to the S, with 3-light windows to each floor. Gable stack. Lean-to against the S end with corrugated asbestos roof.


The lateral stack to the hall, on the wall next to the porch, is blocked internally, the hall having 5 chamfered cross beams set at close centres, with a further cross beam on the partition line to the parlour, which has a further 3 cross beams. Flagged floors and exceptionally high ceilings; fragmentary moulded plaster ceilings survive at 1st floor level, one with reed-moulded panels, another has moulded ribs and alternating roses and fleur-de-lys. Axial stack at S end, with chamfered fire lintel. Winding stair at side of stack to first floor. Dog-leg main stair with dado, moulded ramped handrail and fine moulded balusters with a wavy profile; the well lit by a 16-pane sash in the gable end of the wing. Moulded trimmer to stair well. Panelled 1st floor room with tall raised fields and heavy cornice. Trusses with tenoned collars and through purlins, one recorded as being inscribed with the date 1773. Interior not fully accessible at time of inspection (August 1995).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a large house retaining much of the character of a late C16/early C17 mansion with C18 remodelling and recent full restoration.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Meilig
    The church is set in an oval churchyard at the centre of the small village, standing back from the A.438 Brecon to Hereford road.
  • II Old Vicarage
    The Old Vicarage is located in the village, 200m SW of the parish church, set in its own gardens, and facing the road to Moity and Gogia, and 150m from the main A.438 Brecon to Hereford road.
  • II The Radnor Arms PH
    Located on the S side of the A.438 Hereford to Brecon road, which now separates the building from the village of Llowes.
  • II 1 Albert Terrace
    Located at the centre of Llowes, the terrace is set end-on to the road to Painscastle.
  • II Former Mill
    In the centre of Llowes village adjacent to a minor road leading through the village to the north.
  • II 2 Albert Terrace
    Located at the centre of Llowes, the terrace is set end-on to the road to Painscastle.
  • II 3 Albert Terrace
    Located at the centre of Llowes, the terrace is set end-on to the road to Painscastle.
  • II Barn Cottage
    Located in Llowes village, above Albert Cottages and opposite the turn to Llowes mill, set parallel to the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.