History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Ciliau Aeron, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2011 / 52°12'3"N

Longitude: -4.1927 / 4°11'33"W

OS Eastings: 250244

OS Northings: 258139

OS Grid: SN502581

Mapcode National: GBR DM.3DN6

Mapcode Global: VH3JT.8YT0

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 3 June 1964

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9763

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated on the N side of the B4229 in small village group, some 1.5km S of Ciliau Aeron.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Ciliau-Aeron

History

Mid C18. According to a memorial in the graveyard, the church was rebuilt at the expense of David Davies of Foelallt (d.1768, aged 55). Davies also built the nearby Unitarian Chapel in 1755 (rebuilt). Restored in 1905 by E.V. Collier of Carmarthen, architect: this included rebuilding the E wall, refitting the interior and renewing the chancel roof.

Exterior

Single chamber with W bell-cote and W porch. Rubble construction. Slate roof, overhanging eaves. Parapet to W gable, bracketed bargeboard to E. Tall W bellcote with rounded gable and round arched opening, containing medieval bell. Sides both with four tall narrow round arched windows, stone voussoirs: leaded glazing and cut-stone sills of 1905. The easternmost window on both sides is separated from the others by a three-step buttress: the eastern window and buttress on the N side are additions of 1905. Stepped triple E lancet window of 1905: Doulting stone dressings. W end with three-step diagonal buttresses and small gabled W porch with round arched entry, paired boarded doors: stone voussoirs.

Interior

Boarded inner door with decorative strap hinges, round arched head and stone voussoirs. Nave with original C18 collar-truss roof, paired purlins: chancel roof of 1905 with arched braces on stone corbels and king-posts. Raised chancel and sanctuary. Coloured central light to E window of 1905 by Percy Bacon of London. Round arched recess in N wall of sanctuary. Early C20 memorial tablets.

Reasons for Listing

Rare example in the region of mid C18 church. Highly attractive setting.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.