This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2012 / 52°12'4"N
Longitude: -4.2 / 4°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 249750
OS Northings: 258168
OS Grid: SN497581
Mapcode National: GBR DL.3JVR
Mapcode Global: VH3JT.5X0X
Entry Name: Foelallt
Listing Date: 23 May 1996
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 9766
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on N side of by-road, reached off B4339. Farmyard on higher ground to W. Ciliau Aeron 1km N.
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Later C18. A grave in the cemetery of Ciliau Aeron church records that David Davies of Foelallt (1713-1768) rebuilt the church and erected a meeting house (the Unitarian Chapel, built 1755). It is likely that the present house, with its massive offsets is of a similar date. Shown on the 1844 Tithe map as a longer building, but there is evidence of curtailment on the downslope side.
Whitewashed rubble construction. Broadly pitched slate roof. Rendered, slightly stepped gable chimney stacks, thicker to right. Rendered gable stack to rear wing and also a chimney to corner of outshut. Three bay front with large offsets, thicker to right. Later, C19 whitewashed rubble lean-to central porch with slate roof: boarded inner door with three upper lights. Late C19 fenestration. C20 window to ground floor left, 12-pane horned sash to ground floor right: slate sills and cambered brick heads. Twelve-pane horned sash window to first floor left and right, central 3/6 hornless sash set higher due to roof-slope of porch. Slate sills and stone lintels.
Lower single bay lofted structure to right end with C20 window. This appears to be contemporary with the house (unless exceptionally well keyed-in) and could be a curtailment of the longer structure shown on the Tithe map (perhaps originally a byre): the long quoin stones are of a different nature to the rest of the house. The building is of lesser width than the house which has at this end a 3/6 hornless sash above a 12-pane hornless sash: cambered brick heads. Rear of lofted part has stone steps to planked loft door: similar door to ground floor.
Left end built into (excavated) rocky outcrop. Blocked first floor doorway with inserted 6-pane window: stone lintel and stone drip above. Later rear two storey wing with C20 glazing to N. Later outshut fills angle between main house and wing, 12-pane hornless sash to rear with brick head and slate sill: boarded door to S.
The interior was unavailable for inspection.
Later C18 farmhouse retaining its original character plus C19 alterations and additions
Other nearby listed buildings