This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0698 / 52°4'11"N
Longitude: -4.5497 / 4°32'59"W
OS Eastings: 225336
OS Northings: 244343
OS Grid: SN253443
Mapcode National: GBR D4.CN48
Mapcode Global: VH2MY.372L
Plus Code: 9C4Q3F92+W4
Entry Name: Blaenpant
Listing Date: 21 September 1964
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 9882
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 1.25km NE of Llandygwydd at the end of a 300m drive.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Mid to later C18 gentry house of the Brigstocke family, extensively altered in 1833-4 and left part derelict in later C20, restored with the loss of a large rear wing from 1980s. Recorded as Blaen-y-pant in 1580, the seat of Llewellyn ap David, it passed by marriages to the Brigstocke family: D.T. Parry of Noyadd Trefawr (d1629), and c1645 to R. Jenkins of Carrog and c1710 to William Brigstocke of Llechdwnny, Carmarthenshire, (d1725). Then: William II (d1751), Owen (d1778), William Owen I (d1831), William Owen II, (d1861), William Owen III (d1900) and estate sold 1912 by Augustus Brigstocke. Present house probably built by Owen Brigstocke after 1751, and enlarged by William Owen Brigstocke II in 1833-7.
Rubble stone with cut Cilgerran stone dressings, graded slate roofs. End-wall and centre stacks, brick to SW and cut stone to centre and NE. Two storeys and attic. Six-window range with broad pediment over centre four bays. Timber bracket cornice survives on pediment, but has been replaced to shallower depth under eaves and across pediment base. Big horseshoe window in pediment with tripartite sashes. Twelve-pane first floor sashes and ground floor c1900 French windows with top-lights (formerly 12-pane sashes), all with cut stone voussoirs. Four stone steps up to each French window.
NE end wall is blank with basement door. Rear of house is much modified, a double pile three-storey large rear wing was demolished in 1980s. A slate-hung gable and chimney marks line of NE roof but range was lowered beyond to C20 flat roof with cast-cement balustrade. This covers the c1833 entry, with tall brick-arched main doorway. Large door with sidelights, console brackets, fanlight and glazed outer arch, both with radiating bars. Centre rear slightly larger remnant, ridge stack, and, on each side, a large c1833 arched dormer with radiating bars, lighting stair well. Lower C20 flat-roof and balustrade to N.
Windowless SW end to main range, and in NW angle behind, a c1850-60 cut Cilgerran stone 2-storey addition with three-sided SW front, three first floor 12-pane sashes with stone voussoirs and three ground floor French windows with flat lintels. Painted cornice and parapet. Side-wall stone stack.
Three-window SW Dining room has fielded panelling in large panels with fluted Ionic pilasters, dado rail and raised pedestals under pilasters. Deep dentil cornice. Panelling missing from front wall. End wall has early C20 fireplace and overmantel, framed by original pilasters and the cornice further enriched with moulded detail and thick leaf scroll in the frieze. Panelled shutters. Two-window centre room has similar panelling, dado and fluted pilasters but original Corinthian capitals lost except one in corner. Dentil cornice. NE entrance hall has moulded cornice and two tall c1833 arched entries to full height stair-hall with additional hall behind. Present staircase is of 1980s, made-up from early C20 bits. First flight rises from rear hall, threaded through an arch into main stair-hall, and through another to first floor. First floor has two main rooms each end and two smaller rooms between, backed by passage with some fielded panelling and moulded cornice. Fielded panelling behind c1833 shutters, and moulded cornices. Stairhall has carved wood interlacing band at first floor and plaster moulding at attic level. Barrel-vaulted c1833 plaster ceiling with ornate acanthus rose and big glazed fanlights each end. Attic has large encased roof trusses with curved feet.
Listed as An important country house, recently restored from dereliction and with some good surviving interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings