This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0948 / 52°5'41"N
Longitude: -4.4153 / 4°24'55"W
OS Eastings: 234641
OS Northings: 246806
OS Grid: SN346468
Mapcode National: GBR D9.B5H8
Mapcode Global: VH3K8.FL4Z
Entry Name: Hawen Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 21 September 1964
Last Amended: 4 June 1996
Source ID: 9902
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in Hawen, some 600m S of Rhydlewis, facing W over road to Penrhiwpal
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Independent chapel of 1838 altered inside in 1878. The congregation stemmed from Capel Y Drewen, Cwm Cou in the 1740s.
Whitewashed roughcast with slate roof and paired brackets to eaves. Lateral facade with six arched openings, all with painted recessed voussoirs and flush keystones. Small-paned windows with marginal glazing bars and radiating-bar fans, two large ones to centre and two smaller ones to first floor each side. The two doors are four-panel double doors with radiating-bar fanlights and additional tracery, probably in iron. Plaque to centre. The end walls have two similar first floor windows and one to ground floor centre, displaced slightly on stuccoed S end by single storey outbuilding. The rear has two arched windows each floor.
All of 1878. Flat ceiling, boarded with framing ribs. Three-sided gallery with curved angles and long panels of pierced cast-iron with pattern of circles in squares. Dividing piers with arched panels. Cornice below, notched and fretted. Five marbled iron columns, made by Priory Foundry, Carmarthen. Pine pews and plain great seat. Pulpit with straight flight of steps each side, newel caps, and front broken forward with two arched panels, inset with fretwork. Heavily moulded plaster arch behind.
Listed as a particularly attractive chapel front of the 1830s, still retaining the original roughcast.
Other nearby listed buildings