This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0863 / 52°5'10"N
Longitude: -4.4133 / 4°24'47"W
OS Eastings: 234749
OS Northings: 245850
OS Grid: SN347458
Mapcode National: GBR D9.BRZD
Mapcode Global: VH3K8.GT7J
Plus Code: 9C4Q3HPP+GM
Entry Name: Old Court House
Listing Date: 2 June 1998
Last Amended: 2 June 1998
Source ID: 19942
Building Class: Institutional
Location: On prominent site at cross roads of B4571 and B4334, facing B4334 to Rhydlewis.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Probably early-to-mid C19; formerly public house with attached shop, but adjacent agricultural buildings suggest use also as small holding. A building is marked on the site on the Tithe Map (1837). A petty sessions court was held here until the early C20. The later Newcastle Emlyn assizes continued to be called "Penrhiwpal Assizes". Mr Thomas Lloyd thinks that the court room may have been set up under pressure from the Lloyds of Bronwydd, keen to exercise local justice. The Kelly's directory of 1926 confirms a Petty Sessions court at Penrhiwpal. The interior of the L block of the building has been altered by the addition on the rear of a semi-circular extension with raised platform probably where the judge sat.
Two-storey, 3-window front; painted rubble with slate roof, end chimneys in brick to L, larger chimney to R. Three squarish 4-pane horned sashes to upper floor, central boarded doorway with rectangular overlight 4-pane hornless sash to each side of door. To L, lower single-storey block in similar materials, slate roof, brick chimney to L; large sash window to L, panelled door with overlight to R (hood on wooden brackets. Main block has outshut rear; lower block has unusual semi-circular rear extension with 2 blocked windows, corrugated roof covering.
Interior has C19 joinery details but hewn and pegged roof trusses may indicate earlier date for building. Main block retains character of public house, with principal parlour and servery next to entrance hall and stair-well. Matchboard partitions with hatches/windows; wooden stair. To L, room fitted up as shop. Wooden shelves with arcading above divide-off semi-circular room with plastered walls and 2 blocked windows; wooden counters.
An extremely rare example of vernacular building with evidence in its fabric that law court sat in the building.
Other nearby listed buildings