This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3761 / 52°22'34"N
Longitude: -3.8546 / 3°51'16"W
OS Eastings: 273848
OS Northings: 276963
OS Grid: SN738769
Mapcode National: GBR 92.RFKQ
Mapcode Global: VH4FP.4JLT
Entry Name: Devil's Bridge Station
Listing Date: 4 April 1989
Last Amended: 16 March 2005
Source ID: 10706
Building Class: Transport
Location: Set in a wide railway yard at the head of the Vale of Rheidol Railway; close to road entrance from SE corner.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Corrugated-iron railway station of 1902, said to have been lengthened 1905. Construction of the line for the Vale of Rheidol Light Railway Company (formed 1897) began from Aberystwyth early 1901 and reached Devil's Bridge by July 1902. Engineers were Sir James and William Szlumper, contractors were Pethick Bros of Plymouth and the contract for supplying most of the buildings went to A & J Main & Co. Ltd. of London. Ironwork components from Green's Foundry, Aberystwyth.
Initially opened to freight, regular passenger traffic began December 1902. Taken over by the Cambrian Railway Co. in 1913, by G W R in 1923 and by British Railways in 1948, sold 1989.
Small single-storey station building, timber-frame clad in corrugated-iron. Rectangular, four bays. Canopy on platform side with scalloped valances. Station has door in second bay with double 4-panel doors in moulded surround and three fixed windows with 3 top-lights over 2 long lights. End gables have half-timbering, plain bargeboards and turned finials. E end lean-to in two roof-pitches, the left half projecting further. Windowless W end. Rear similar to front, with close eaves, three windows and door in third bay.
Included as a small corrugated-iron station, the original terminus building of the Vale of Rheidol Railway and the last remaining station building of original type on any narrow gauge railway in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings