History in Structure

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6852 / 51°41'6"N

Longitude: -3.3792 / 3°22'44"W

OS Eastings: 304752

OS Northings: 199390

OS Grid: ST047993

Mapcode National: GBR HN.54Q4

Mapcode Global: VH6D4.CXX1

Plus Code: 9C3RMJPC+38

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 16 February 1988

Last Amended: 18 February 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10897

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Also known as: St Margaret's Church, Mountain Ash

ID on this website: 300010897

Location: At S end of Dyffryn Road set back from junction with New Road (A4059); Campell Terrace to rear.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Mountain Ash

Community: Mountain Ash (Aberpennar)

Community: Mountain Ash

Built-Up Area: Mountain Ash

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


Original building of apse, nave and W aisle 1860-2 designed by JP Seddon (Prichard and Seddon) architect of Llandaff and London, for J. Bruce Pryce, father of the first Lord Aberdare. Enlarged with E aisle and vestry 1883-4 by John Prichard; new chancel, vestry and tower added by E Bruce Vaughan, architect of Cardiff, in 1898.


Complex High Victorian parish church orientated N and S in Early English style with some later C13 style detailing. Plan form of chancel, E organ chamber and transept, W vestries with tower in angle, aisled nave and NW porch. Snecked rubble masonry, pale freestone dressings, parapet gables with seatings for finials, slate roofs. Tall buttressed S front with niche containing St Margaret's statue to gable; wide 5-light window with cusped lancets in echelon, hoodmould, spandrel paterae, stepped sill band. Square SW tower with short pyramidal spire and weathervane behind crenellated parapet, Y-tracery bell-openings, polygonal stair turret. Lateral gables with plate tracery windows. Decorated tracery in finial surround to E side window. Twin lancets to aisles, NW porch with elaborately carved tympanum of Christ in a mandorla, angel supporters, crocketted arch over,roundel in apex, cusped panelling to double doors. Simple N front with large cusped oculus over door.


Interior has boarded and ribbed waggon roof to chancel, foliage paterae and angel supporters. Hood moulds, nook shafts, stiff-leaf capitals to windows and head stops, some portraits, to lateral arches. Arcaded end wall with 5-bay tabernacled reredos of 1904 designed by Bruce Vaughan, containing seated figures; triple arch sedilia. Tripartite responds with fillets to tall chancel arch. 6-bay nave without clerestory (wide bay second from E), round piers with foliage and scallop capitals, double-chamfered arches; unmoulded treatment to W bays, plain waggon roof, lean-to aisles. Elaborate furnishings include pulpit and lectern of 1897-8; stone font of 1905; organ of 1914 (remodelled 1952 to designs by Sir Percy Thomas). Fine stained glass includes chancel windows of 1900 by Robert J Newbery of London commemorating John Nixon principal colliery owner in the Cynon valley; other windows by Mary Lowndes 1917 (N transept), James Clarke 1916 (N aisle NE), AJ Davies of the Bromsgrove Guild 1930 (N aisle).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a Victorian church with an interesting development history with contributions from leading South Wales architects in C19.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Aberdare Hotel
    Prominently situated to left of the Town Hall, N of the road bridge over River Cynon, immediately below A4059, New Road.
  • II Mountain Ash Town Hall
    In a prominent position now on a traffic island, facing the railway and river bridge leading into the town centre and backing onto New Road.
  • II Bethania Independent Chapel
    On the corner of Phillip Street and Jeffrey Street some 150m north of the parish church of St Mary.
  • II Mountain Ash Workman's Club and Institute
    In the town centre on the main street, on a corner site with the road leading to the railway station.
  • II* Elim Pentecostal Church
    Situated in a terrace in Knight Street, some 30 m uphill from its junction with the A4059.
  • II War Memorial
    On the E hillside of Afon Cynon on a triangular levelled terrace of grass and surrounding woodland, by a cross-roads at former entrance to Dyffryn and close to the General Hospital.
  • II Carmel Independent Chapel
    Situated on main road some 100m W of St Winifred parish church, behind low stone wall with stone piers, iron railings and double gates between posts.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.